Sim City 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by auxplage, Mar 22, 2005.

1. auxplage macrumors 6502

How will Sim City 4 run on my eMac (specs below)? I love Sim City and need this game to help my addiction. I have read about how bad the performance is, so will it even be playable?

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Get the patch, it'll run fine. I run it on an G4 800 w/768, and it lags on big cities, but your addiction will be wholly satisfied.

3. falcoboy7 macrumors newbie

4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

^ the patch that was released that greatly improves performace. www.macgamefiles.com

I run the game on my Powerbook (specs in sig), and it runs pretty nice, though it does lag a little in the HUGE citys (I have a nice city going!), but its not too bad if you turn the graphics down a tad. your eMac should handle it well.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Huge cities meaning 10,000+ population. I played it on my iMac G4 for a while. Once I got cities with a population of 10,000+, I started a new city.

SimCity 4 is still fun, nevertheless. I'll probably never get to unlock everything with my less than spectacular iMac. One of these days I'll have something better than a G4 to play SC4 and hopefully get further into it...

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I *ran* it on my eMac (see sig) before I got bored this all those slowdaowns. The game was ok when cities were small, but with 5000+ population - ...

I hope patch will help a bit :)

I'm sure you Mac will handle this game pretty well :)

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've heard that the expansion pack Rush Hour makes the game more responsive and playable with larger cities – although it's a pretty poor state of affairs that after buying a game you need an expansion to make it more playable. But definitely download and run the patch – it does make a big difference.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I run Sim City 4 with the Rush Hour pack on a 1.25 15" Powerbook with 1.25GB of Ram and can happily get up to 30,000 in a city without major penalties.

I don't tend to play it in zoomed in at level 1 which probably helps- usually at zoom 3 - but it's absolutely fine.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Zooming in all the way to the street level is definitely faster. Zooming out is where things start hurting (many more polygons are being drawn). And, if your Mac ain't playing the game too well, scrolling becomes a pain.

Rush Hour is recommendable for a marginal performance boost. I don't have Rush Hour though.

10. auxplage thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the system requirements are higher for Rush Hour, but this does not really matter, I guess, since they are "suggestions"? I guess my reasoning is that higher specs = slower performance, but it seems this is not the case. It must be written better?