Sim City 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by pasqualerose, Jun 27, 2005.

1. pasqualerose macrumors newbie

I picked up a used copy of SimCity 4 and parts of the screen often go black when I move the cities position in the screen. My G4 powerbook is brand new with a 1.67 GHz processor, 1.5 GB RAM and 80 G hard rive with a Bus speed of 167 MHz. I have lowered all the options on the game as low as possible. Is my copy busted or is there something else I can do about this? I hope so, because I really want to play it. I had SimCity back in the mid-90s and I have not played in years. I was looking forward to playing again.

PM

2. davidwes macrumors regular

simcity 2000

I would go out and get simcity 2000, that was the greatest game in the series. Ofcourse this doesn't answer your question. sorry :)

3. Linksgolfer84 macrumors member

There is a patch that you must download. It massively improves performance. The game was almost unplayable on my 1Ghz Tibook, but with the patch I can play all I want!

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, my city played well on my eMac (800 G4, 1gig ram) but that patch really helps when a city gets very large and a lot is going on :p

5. pasqualerose thread starter macrumors newbie

Linksgolfer and ArtFul Doger, Thanks for the replies! Where do I get the patch download?

AD, I use to leave Lackawanna. I live in Nebraska now.

Davidwes, I loved Simcity2000. I sold years ago because I had no time for it. I wish I had it now.

Thanks PM

6. patioman macrumors newbie

Hey pasqualerose, if you want you can download SimCity 2000 from here: http://mac.the-underdogs.org. They specialize in hosting "abandonware": "Abandonware is commercial software that has been discontinued by the publisher and are [sic] not sold or supported anymore." I got SimCity 2000 from there, as well as a bunch of old games I used to play, like SimTower. It's pretty awesome.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Still is the same around the area ;) you should enjoy the game after the patch. I thought Simcity3000 was great but 4 is much nicer when it plays nice, anyway enjoy...

8. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

I didn't like 2000. SimCity 3000 is the best by far in my book.

9. pasqualerose thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks Patioman. I'll try http://mac.the-underdogs.org, but I...[url]http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/sc4/?
    I appreciate all the replies and

10. pasqualerose thread starter macrumors newbie

11. pasqualerose thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgive the multiple post. It's not posting my whole post. I'll try again.

Okay, thanks Patioman. I'll try that site, but I still want to try Sim City 4, but how do I get the patch? Is it at the sight that Yellow posted?
    I appreciate all the replies. And if this is true
    PM
    Then I really can't wait to start playing.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The site I gave you is for the game publisher. Just go to the site and look at the Support section. The patches are there.

13. pasqualerose thread starter macrumors newbie

14. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Good game sim city 4, shame it crashes all my macs, even with the patch :rolleyes:

I'll be playing for an hour or so, put down a large area of something and it locks up, still playing the sounds, i've tried leaving it for a few mins and nothing changes, so i try force quit and it dies altogether, leaving no option but to do a hard reboot

It also has a strange graphical glitch, where a screen shot type thing remains on the map as you scroll, you have to completely scroll so it's not on screen then scroll back to get rid of it

Shame really, because i'm getting the hang of balancing it all out

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I must be doing something right or my settings must be turned down since my eMac (800 G4) plays it fine on the medium size maps but I do run without any disasters turned on (I like my cities to much). I really wonder if the fact that PB and iBooks have a slower HDD makes a diff. :cool: anywho enjoy all...

16. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Are you kidding me? Sim City 3000 was awful, and a pig even on the newest hardware available at the time of it's release. Sim City 4 is leaps better then 3, but both pale in comparison to the amazing reply value of Sim City 2000- but this is only my opinion.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sim City 3000 was my lord and master. absolutely loved that, much more beautiful graphics than 2000 and wasnt as terribly lame as 4. which is more like a Sims game than Sim City.

if only i could find SC3K for mac :( for cheap! i already own the PC version, dont want to spend the same amount yet again.