Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Currently, Sim City is only out for PC. I'm wondering if anyone with a 2011 or 2012 Macbook Air has tried running it in boot camp or a VM. What is performance like?

Please also provide your specs so we can compare. Thanks!

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Currently, Sim City is only out for PC. I'm wondering if anyone with a 2011 or 2012 Macbook Air has tried running it in boot camp or a VM. What is performance like?

Please also provide your specs so we can compare. Thanks!

I'd imagine not too well as the MacBook Air has an integrated GPU.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Just wait for the Mac Version. THe posted specs meet the 11.6 inch Macbook Air 2011 base.

Especially considering that they're having rather major problems being able to keep the servers running and people hooked on SimCity 2012 are livid that they can't play because of regular server outages. By the time the Mac version comes out, they'll hopefully have the bugs ironed out.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I have the 2012 Air. 4 GB RAM, 1.8 Ghz i5.

Performance is ok. With everything on high (with the exception of lighting and shadows) the frame rate is on the slower side but playable. If you turn on shadows, it will stutter a lot. It's still not quite unplayable, but it's not a good experience.

That said, the game is very buggy. Even without the server issues, which have mostly disappeared at this point, there are still a lot of random crashes, glitches, and general bad design. Hopefully Maxis will iron these issues out before the Mac release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.