iPad mini Sim question ipad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rubined, Nov 17, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5. Can I take out the sim and put it in my ipad mini (AT&T) and maintain unlimited Internet on the mini? If so, what do I do with my iPhone 5 to get service back? Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

Um.....no.

3. macrumors newbie

Why not? They are both from the same provider, and use the same data plan. Can someone explain why this is not possible?

4. macrumors regular

FWIW, my AT&T iPhone unlimited sim works in my Verizon iPad. It's only 3G speeds, but it works.

5. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

If AT&T detects that you're using an iPhone sim card in you iPad (which they can do), they will cancel your unlimited data.

6. macrumors 6502

It works if you use a Verizon mini. They won't know what it is and you'll get data. HSPA, no LTE but you'll get data.

7. macrumors newbie

I'm in UK and using my Three nano sim from my iPhone 5 in the mini. Even tho everyone told me it wouldn't work.

8. PDE, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

PDE
    macrumors 68020

We're lucky in the UK with Three - excellent pricing and virtually no restrictions imposed. I spend 8.90 pounds/month (=14 USD) for 200 mins, 3000 texts and 500mb data - and I can also use the hotspot function for my laptop without issue even though it formally is not allowed. At least they don't block it.

Update: ha ha, just after I wrote the above I got a tethering warning from three telling me that I should contact them if I want to tether. I never got that with pay as you go, so I assume they enforce only on monthly plans?

9. macrumors 68000

pooleman

I created a thread about this this morning but no one responded to it.

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97988