SimCity 3000 help!! Can't save

Discussion in 'Games' started by goggleboy, Jun 21, 2006.

1. goggleboy macrumors newbie

recently got around to finding a used copy of SimCity 3000 for mac for nostalgic reasons. i realize i'm about 5 years late asking this question.

my problem is that every time i try and save a city, the game instantly freezes at the push of the "save/save as" button. never even gets to the directory box dialogue. i'm also have trouble loading a city/scenario through the game's interface, but i can get around this by simply opening the individual .sc3 file instead. but come time to save, and i'm screwed. have to force quit out of the program.

i am running the game while booted into OS 9.2.2. (i'm not running it through Classic ---- although, i don't have this problem in classic, but the game runs so damn slow, that it's impossible to play).

i've tried to find any solution possible, and the only thing i am finding is to run the Extensions on "base" mode. which i've done to no avail. i also read something where someone had this problem, and he turned off his Iomega extensions. though, i have no Iomega extensions that i am aware of (unless they are called something really weird), as i have nothing installed into OS9 except what came on the system install disc + SimCity 3000. (also have the latest quicktime).

i know Simcity3000 is supposed to run like crap on Mac. but everything actually runs really smoothly while booted into OS9, except for the Save/Save As.

i am running an iMac G4 800mhz, 512mb ram

thanks for any possible help

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i've tried running sim city 3000 for mac in OS X, it runs extremely slow and i also have some weird issues like that
    i'll have to give it a shot running in OS 9

too bad sim city 4 kinda sucks

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If it is running slow, it probably means you are missing some of the QuickDraw extensions. Disabling all extensions to "base" would likely cause that. Whoever suggested you do that is an idiot.

A poorly maintained copy of OS 9, especially one that has been installed as a classic folder, is usualy a poor choice for a gaming system.

SimCity 3000 should play excellent on lower end G3 hardware, so why you're having problems on an 800mhz G4 is hard to guess, but disabling all extensions is probably not the answer.

4. goggleboy thread starter macrumors newbie

well, it's not that it's running slow. it's actually running well in OS9. it's just that the game totally freezes when i try to save. other than that, i have no complaints over the runtime of the actual game. but come time to save, kaput!!

5. goggleboy thread starter macrumors newbie

i got this working this morning. after spending hours researching and trying last night, i gave up. and randomly found an answer this morning.

ended up unplugging all my firewire devices from my computer. which included an external harddrive and an iPod dock. rebooted (into OS9) just to play it safe, and it worked perfectly. have no idea how/why this effects the game as it does, but all i care is that it works.

have to give credit to the random post i discovered on around page 10 of my google search. don't know who he was who had this same dilemma/remedy, but i'd like to thank my anonymous angel.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I bet your firewire drives fall asleep while you're playing, and then when the save dialog pops up, all the drives have to wake back up, and SimCity has no idea how to handle this.