Simcity 4 - any good on PB?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MyLeftNut, Dec 24, 2005.

1. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

Hello there,

Just following up on some research about the Simcity 4 game. I sort of want to get it, I love the Simcity series but if it such a CPU hog it might burn a hole through my powerbook...dont wanna waste money on it if the reviews are not favourable....Oh PBG4 - 1.5ghz 1GRAM.

Anyone care to comment..?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Should run no bother on your powerbook. I had it installed in my 12" powerbook 1.5ghz and it ran perfectly. I havent installed it in my 15" 1.67 yet.

I like Ghostmaster too. Kind of like the sims meets fear factor and it runs sweetly on the powerbook also.

3. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I found on my powerbook it ran extremely badly, and when you fill all of an area it's almost unplayable, not to mention the stability, or lack of it :rolleyes:

It's a great game, shame about the mac version :eek:

Although, that said, if you one of these people who can tolerate extremely low frame rates and general laggyness you might be alright :D

4. MyLeftNut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies one and all....what setting =s were you using Beige? I can only imagine that the best settings would be very low and many of the details set to off...what if the playing area is saturated with stuff?

Is this a problem because of the coding or the fact the PBs are underpowered? Would there be any difference if the Mactels were available?

Cheers - Merry Xmas - Well in Australia anyway..

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I played it fine on eMac in my sig, though it was pretty laggy when the city grows. Haven't tried this game on my iMac yet

6. MyLeftNut thread starter macrumors regular

Wow eXan you played it on an eMac? Theres hope for me yet. Nice to see someone else from that part of the world...Vladivostok eh, kewl.

:)

7. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Ran OK on my G4

I have PowerMac Dual 1.42 with 2 GB of ram. It ran perfect until it got lagged so bad when my city expanded (by using huge map - flat land only). I was kinda disappoint EVEN with 2 GB of ram!! It was worth it. Played ever since Jaguar (crashed a lot) to Panther (rarely crashed) to Tiger (never crashed at all)! haha. Merry Christmas!

8. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I can't remember the exact res i was running, possibly 1024x768, i started off at med/high setting, that worked great until i built up a bit of population, from then i had to turn something off every 30mins or so to keep it running smoothly until i pretty much hit min settings all round

I don't think it's that the pbook is underpowered, just a less than great port :rolleyes:

As for the intel mac, running the current PPC code would be painfully slow, waiting for it to be ported to intel mac os could take ages, then who knows :)

9. charmin macrumors member

charmin

On my PB 12" 867 it runs without glitches (as long as I have certain features checked, like UI transparency), but is laggy as hell.

On my friend's iBook 12" (1.33?, the new ones) it runs at a decent speed, but has all kinds of problems - a lot of the time, the screen goes black, and certain buildings just go black at random.

On the other hand, Sims 2 seems to run fine on his iBook.

10. MyLeftNut thread starter macrumors regular

Mmmm it would seem that I might get it if the inclination arises. Otherwise thanks for your feedback everyone...Its just so overpriced here for an old game that I dont want to waste my money on something that could be so frustrating.

Cheers

11. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

It seems to have real problems with the older nVidia cards.

AppleMatt

12. sucafrutpi macrumors newbie

13. MyLeftNut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. Is it required even for new purchasers of the game?

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Out of curiosity, would any of the older versions run better? Or would my dual 2.5/3GB ram work fine with Sim City 4, despite the bad port?

15. diego macrumors member

diego

I play it almost daily on an iMac G4 700mhz with 768 Mb, and it runs really good, not great but it's perfectly playable. You can download lots of custom stuff from Simtropolis, you should get it with the Rush Hour expansion to get the most of it, i really enjoy that game.

16. MyLeftNut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I did get it and updated it and all. I run it on a lower resolution but it still maxes out the CPU pretty quickly and the fans come on for a long time, should I be worried??

17. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Theres really nothing to be worried about. The computer isn't going to hurt itself running Sim City. Absolute worst case scenario is that the computer gets too hot and shuts down. This isn't going to happen.

By the way, how do Aspyr get away with releasing outright crappy ports of otherwise solid games. After Doom 3 and Sim City 4, they should really look into their quality control. Hopefully this will all be moot when the Intel based Macs become standard.

18. MyLeftNut thread starter macrumors regular

You wont believe this. My computer shut down last night. I didnt know what happened until you mentioned it. I mean it froze and then stopped...Is that what is supposed to happen?

19. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Depends. Did it freeze and just sit there or did it actually reboot itself without any intervention on your part? If it froze up, that is just Sim City 4 being the horrible port that it is and mucking up an otherwise solid OS. If it restarted, it could be cost by the CPU temperature reaching the upper limit of safe computing. If this is the case, there is something wrong with your Powerbook's cooling. It shouldn't get to that point.

20. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

It is possible that there is nothing wrong with the powerbook since running something as CPU intensive as SimCity on a powerbook that doesn't have much airflow around it could potentially take it to thermal cutoff temperatures. For example, resting a powerbook on a bed with the sheets bunched up around the air vents and the bed effectively insulating the bottom of the powerbook (where much of the heat radiates) has the potential for overheating the machine.

21. MyLeftNut thread starter macrumors regular

No youre right it froze more than anything. The PB had plenty of air around it. Ive never run it that hard though so it was kind of scary to see the poor thing seemingly struggle, the game must be the problem then. Im really dissapointed then. So, unless they come out with a powerful Mactel that can run it and or they port it correctly, I'll just have to put up with it....:(

22. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That will be the case with almost any game you try to play even if it only requires a 300MHz CPU and an old ATI Rage something GPU. Games usually just run continuously and never allow the CPU or the GPU to fall nap. All games and applications that continuously needs to redraw the screen will have this effect and will make the fans go full throttle.