SimCity 4 Comming to Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by TEG, Feb 12, 2003.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

According to the ESRB (Those people who give content ratings for games), SimCity 4, the latest installment of the famous City building game will indeed be released on the Macintosh Plarform.
    http://www.esrb.com/search_results.asp?key=simcity+4&type=game

With an E rating (Sutible for everyone to play), It appears that the gaming series that started on the Mac will continue to be available on the Mac. This is welcome news to the Thousands of Mac Users who have been worried about a Mac release of the popular game.

Aspyr Media will publish the game, written/rewritten by Westlake Interactive, from the PC version by Maxis and Published by Electronic Arts. No Release Date has been Given, however speculation suggests that the game Should hit the shelves by August. No System Requirements have been released, however given the PC Requirements, one can speculate that a 400Mhz G3 or higher computer with at least 128mb of Ram will be required. No word yet on whether or not the game will run in OSX, OS9, or Both.

TEG
    -Avid Simcity (2K & 3K) Player

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

This link has been posted a month ago. Check Westlake Interactive's website/News. There will be some code name games at the bottom. Zoot Suit is speculated as SimCity 4. It's been up for a month. I'm expeting and announcement any day.

3. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

This is good news....how does one get companies interested in porting other games...not just the handful of mega popular ones...I would love Homeworld2 when it comes out to be ported at a future date....

4. c2kvette macrumors member

Thank goodness! I've been waiting for this one! :D

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Well here's something interesting. CGW has a review of SimCity 4 and they gave it 4/5 stars.

It seems to need a lot of power though:

http://www.gamers.com/game/1141979

"But beauty has a price. On a 2GHz with 256MB of RAM and a GeForce 3, the game still chugged, even with most of the special effects turned off. By midgame, the slowdown led to hiccups with each view change. "

If that is the case, then I would expect the minimum requirements to be systems in the range of 500Mhz G4s, and _realistic_ requirements to be in the 800 and higher range. :rolleyes: (i.e. iMac users might have problems).