SimCity 4 on a TiBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ColoJohnBoy, Sep 24, 2003.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I have a 1GHz TiBook with 1GB RAM and ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 graphics chip. I just installed SimCity 4, the update for it, and ran it. The performance is great, except for one thing: when I scroll (every time I scroll) everything disappears. It reappears when I stop scrolling, but it's really annoying. I tried as Aspyr recommended - changing a line in the Video Cards.sgr file - to add support for the card, but it still doesn't help. Any idea?

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've had problems similar to that with Sim City 4 on the PC, too. I think part of it is just the game itself more than your computer. The update for the PC is said to actually take stuff out of range and also cut detail from viewable graphics in order to speed up scrolling overall, so perhaps that is similar to what is happening?

3. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hmmmmmm... perhaps so. It's just so bloody annoying. Damn it! I guess I'll just have to get a new PowerBook, with the Radeon 9600 ;)

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

What's annoying is that on my sister's 1.6 GHz Compaq the game was virtually unplayable because it was so slow and it wasn't until we got a 2.8 GHz Dell before I could play it reasonably...and this was with most all settings on their lowest detail levels. You wouldn't think it from the game type, but Sim City 4 is an incredibly demanding game for your hardware.

5. Bear macrumors G3

This performance level is due to the fact that game designers work with the biggest baddest hardware they can get.

It seems nobody in the software industry cares about performance or memory usage. It;s there so why be neat.

How the heck did we ever get anything done when computers were limited to a meg or two or ram? I'll tell you how. It's because people who were coding applications were neater. It's time for the software industry to clean up its act.

Yes, there are some companies and some software that have been coded properly, but in general, things are bloated way too much.

6. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

But bloat promotes hardware advances. Memory never would've gotten so cheap so fast if M$ didn't release win95 :D.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

8. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

It runs fine on my AMD 2200 with onboard video, I can't wait to try it with my video card once I get one!

9. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

It is not only demanding on your video card, but it is incredibly demanding on the processor(s) because of the intricate ai

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I just recently got SimCity 4 and it runs just fine on my 12" Powerbook w/Nvidea, but I have the same problem on my PowerMac with Radeon 9000, and the update didn't help