SimCity 4 on MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ghall, Aug 20, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I know SimCity is not a Universal Binary, but I was wondering if anyone has actually run it on a MacBook Pro? Does it run alright under Rosetta? How whould it compare to the speed on a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook G4?

2. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I have no idea how it would actually run, but I think that you'd be better off running it under Bootcamp than you would running in OSX under Rosetta.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, I already own a copy of the Mac version, and there is no way I'm gonna shell out $50+ bucks for the Windows version. Plus, I'm a bit nervous about running Boot Camp. I'm gonna try to run it anyway (what harm could t do?), but I just wanted to know if the effort whould be futile.

BTW, I don't have my MacBook Pro yet, it's coming in Wednesday.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

dont have definitive results for you but I would suggest you give it a try and see, it wont do any harm trying and then share your results with the community :)

Good luck and enjoy the new laptop :)

5. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I was googling around and looking in other forums, and from simtropolis:

And a later post by a different user:

So looks like it should run OK, but nothing spectacular/high-res/high-quality until a UB. (I'm assuming that you've un-underclocked your x1600 to match the iMac, if Apple had underclocked the iMac GPU too)

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

What do you mean by that?

7. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

The x1600 in the MBP is underclocked, at least for the 15''. I don't know if the iMacs are underclocked, but I don't think they are. Anyways, the two quotes I pulled out were referring to the intel iMacs, which have pretty much the same specs as the MBPs. However, the MBP is going to be slower (at least stock) than the equivalently spec'd iMac, because of the underclocked GPU.

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Ok, now I understand. I guess it won't be screaming fast (I didn't think it whould be). Well, at least I got The Sims 2 :D

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

No need to shell out fifty bucks – I got the Deluxe Edition brand-new for $19.99. 'Tis a lot cheaper for the Windows version of the game.

10. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, then there's my intense fear of Beta software, as well as dual booting (I had a bad experience with Linux). I don't want to play SimCity THAT bad.

Not to mention the the 200 bucks for a copy of Windows XP.

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Ah. That makes sense, even though Boot Camp is quite reliable. I got XP for cheap legally so it wasn't a huge deal to me, but if you have to spend the full price, well, that stinks.