SimCity 4 on PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'Games' started by AHDuke99, Jun 12, 2003.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Will Simcity 4 run on a Powerbook 667 with 16MB of Video Ram? I heard that it says 32MB but how could it be more graphicly intensive as say Metal of Honor? It runs without any cliches. The powerbook meets all other requirements and 512MB RAM.

2. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: SimCity 4 on PowerBook G4

The graphis look pretty intense on it but I think if you set everything low you would probably be able to run it until things get too crowded. I would try it. I'm going to on my power mac

3. evil macrumors 6502

whens this mofo supposed to be out? anyone know?

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Supposedly it only runs only Ok on pretty powerful PCs. I am not sure how well it would work, but it is worth a try.

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

System Requirements

The system requirements are:
    Mac OS X, version 10.2 or later
    Power Mac G3/G4, iMac G4/eMac, PowerBook G4 (DVI model or better), iBook (32MB VRAM model only)
    Processor speed 500 MHz or faster
    256 MB RAM
    1 GB of free hard disk space available
    Hardware 3D acceleration required: ATI Radeon or NVidia GeForce card (32 MB VRAM or better)

So, many of us with older Powerbooks are SOL. I find that many graphic intense games have the requirements listed as a minimum and not avergae. But some games may get more mileage out of lesser machines.

Its sad, because i would venture a guess a good 30% of Macs in use today with OS X do not meet those requirements. I know 3 of mine would not, and two of them were 2001 models!

7. Codemonkey macrumors 6502

Incidentally, I had read a review somewhere that said it ran poorly on their AMD XP 2800+... which is a pretty kickin' system.

So, as much as I love the SimCity series, methinks they need to take a step back and realize that for a city-builder, top-down, pseudo-sprite based game, they've completely screwed up.

8. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

i ordered it from apple.com on sunday and it says for a shipping date of july 10 or before

9. Darrin Bell macrumors regular

Darrin Bell

Geez, I'm still using an old 400mhz G4, so I'm really SOL.

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Generally it runs well on my 2500XP with Radeon 8500, but when the cities get big then it can get very jerky. If you have slow Macs like the PB G4, then running everything in low res in 16bit colour should be OK. Although you really need at least a Radeon 7500, not the 7000 that is in the PB G4. Although having said that, if your Mac does not meet the min requirements, then the game will most likely not install.