Simcity 4 performance on the eMac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Jan 15, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Anyone have Simcity 4 for their eMac? What's the performance like? Playable?

I recently found Simcity 2000 on a Mac Freeware site...and man did it ever take me back to 1994....

I was going to try to track down 3000, but I feel like that is going to be next to impossible.

Thoughts?

2. PismoGuy macrumors member

I also would like to know. Personally think that I will run just fine on my eMac 800 /768 MB ram/ superdrive/100Mhz bus/60GB HD/ 32MB Geforce 2MX.

You will probably have Sim City 4 running beautifully with your configuration. The only bottle neck that I can think of in your and my case is the 32MB video card but than again I don't believe the maps require more.

O.K. maybe they do.
    If there are texture setting available in the game then probably you will get some slight choppiness on higher settings IMO. It will be worse for me because I have a 2x AGP slot unlike your 4x. I would really like to have someone prove me wrong.

Oh...do you by any chance remember that freeware site? I loved simcity 2000.

3. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I am running it on a Dual 450 with an ATI 8500 and 512mb of ram and it runs allright I haven't gotten very far yet and the site is http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It should be fine albeit once your city grows to epic proportions bet that it'll slow down.

5. evil macrumors 6502

ok i run sim city 4 on an emac.

it runs pretty well. once the city gets ginormous it can slow up if you have the settings on the game set high.

if you leave the games settings at default it works just fine.

6. Linksgolfer84 macrumors member

I have tried running SimCity 4 on two computers: 1Ghz iMac w/ 768 MB Ram, and 1Ghz powerbook w/ 512 MB Ram. Bottom line is it runs well on the iMac, but terribly slow on the powerbook. I'm not sure what the cause of this is, seeing as how both systems are so similar. But if I have trouble running it on the powerbook I'd expect problems on the eMac too.

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, the iMac and the eMac are much closer in performance than the Powermac and iMac or eMac are, trust me.

8. PismoGuy macrumors member

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Re: Simcity 4 performance on the eMac?

I had to buy SC3K off of eBay for $20. The only problem is, no matter what I do, It won't run in OSX. It may just be by system, but you cannot find it to download, and anyway you do need the CD.

TEG

10. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

No problem, Pismo.

In fact, make sure you look around that site a bit more, I'm sure you'll find more "oldies but goodies"

11. aldo macrumors regular

Simcity 4 runs quite well on my ibook.

I have a city of 80,000 people and i'm running at 1024x768x32 w/ most settings on medium, some at low.

Make sure you turn off edge scrolling at all costs though. It takes and absolute age to redraw the city when you pan around on mine (3 seconds or so) so you need to right click on where you want the camera pointed and not scroll.

I don't mind this as usually I can spend about 5 minutes doing stuff before rezooming the camera...

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Re: Re: Simcity 4 performance on the eMac?

The only way to properly run SC3K is to boot into OS9.

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Re: Re: Re: Simcity 4 performance on the eMac?

That was the point I was trying to make. However, I'd love to see a patch that would allow it to be playable under X. I mean, they did a Linux port of SC3KU, why not a small ammount of work to make the front-end carbon? Or at least able to play in X. I'm still trying to figure out why they went with a propritary UI instead of the System default (Like SC2K or SCc).

TEG