Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
eypeux4c

Seems to be no pre-order ability of SimsCity the deluxe version? I want to take advantage of their 'British City Set'.

I know there's no reason to pre-order a digital copy, but intrigued to know whether a Mac version is coming or not. If there's no plans for the DD version I'll order the CD copy.

Anyone know why this is or if they plan to launch this version for mac later?

I've tried contacting them them via Twitter / Facebook but no reply.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
It won't be available until origin is and that will probably be closer to the release date.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
I pre-ordered mine ! I hope that origin gets it right and allows either a Mac or PC download with same serial code to use on either. I will ask that question when and if they have a mac digital download option. I heard there is no beta available for Mac so not sure how thats working for a release date for mac

Can't wait to play this game !!!

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
It won't be available until origin is and that will probably be closer to the release date.

I pre-ordered mine ! I hope that origin gets it right and allows either a Mac or PC download with same serial code to use on either. I will ask that question when and if they have a mac digital download option. I heard there is no beta available for Mac so not sure how thats working for a release date for mac

Can't wait to play this game !!!

Have you had any confirmation that the serial code will work on Mac version?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Have you had any confirmation that the serial code will work on Mac version?

In EA's Origin store, they sell their DVDs as Mac/PC hybrid disks for all of their The Sims 3 games and expansions. However.... in that same Origin store, notice that the Digital Downloads (for the same TS3 products) are only available to PC gamers.

Just something I noticed....

** Frankly I think they got it totally backwards. It is the Mac users that have already been forced by Apple into the Digital Download Age. Hell, most new Macs (iMacs, laptops, etc) don't even come with frikkin CD/DVD drives any more. So Apple users are actually the first segment of the computing population being "pushed" into the Buy-All-Your-Software-From-The-Internet Age. So it makes sense that any digital download stores should be targeted to Mac software buyers. Instead, Electronic Arts has it all backasswards. They are only giving Mac users the option to order/buy retail DVD disks. :rolleyes:

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
In EA's Origin store, they sell their DVDs as Mac/PC hybrid disks for all of their The Sims 3 games and expansions. However.... in that same Origin store, notice that the Digital Downloads (for the same TS3 products) are only available to PC gamers.

** Frankly I think they got it totally backwards. It is the Mac users that have already been forced by Apple into the Digital Download Age. Hell, most new Macs (iMacs, laptops, etc) don't even come with frikkin CD/DVD drives any more. So Apple users are actually the first segment of the computing population being "pushed" into the Buy-All-Your-Software-From-The-Internet Age. So it makes sense that any digital download stores should be targeted to Mac software buyers. Instead, Electronic Arts has it all backasswards. They are only giving Mac users the option to order/buy retail DVD disks. :rolleyes:

That's ****ing ridiculous..

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Wait...

Is this an actual port to OpenGL? Like, an honest-to-god MACH-O binary that loads up under OS X without an emulation layer?

Or has it been delayed so Transgaming can get their act together and fix Cider for the Nth time so it just barely runs well enough that they can say "OMG Mac port!" again?

-SC

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
The developers have said its a native version, and not a Cider port... but it will be available a bit later than the Windows version.

I don't have any problems waiting a few months.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Simcity has been developed for mac from the start. It will be native more than likely.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
£65 for a PC game? Sod that!

When you consider the amount of money that needs to go into the servers and simulation on their end its fair. 90% of the people are going to steal the game anyways.

An iphone game had to be shut down because of this. They didn't have the money to handle the servers because so many non legit players.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You'll be able to get it for a lot less. It's $40 on Amazon ($60 w/ $20 Amazon gift certificate) right now. I'd get it but we still have no confirmation whether buying the PC version gets you the Mac version.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
When you consider the amount of money that needs to go into the servers and simulation on their end its fair. 90% of the people are going to steal the game anyways.

An iphone game had to be shut down because of this. They didn't have the money to handle the servers because so many non legit players.

yeah, but this EA, I don't trust them to pull those servers in the future. If it doesn't have a single player, stand alone mode, I'm not interested. For that I'd pay £35 tops.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
yeah, but this EA, I don't trust them to pull those servers in the future. If it doesn't have a single player, stand alone mode, I'm not interested. For that I'd pay £35 tops.

It doesn't have a single player stand alone mode. Online all the time. Thus the issue without getting the money to ensure the servers are up and running.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

The reason there are no digital version for Mac games is because they don't have a digital delivery system in place yet. Origin is EA's version of Steam and is currently in Alpha. Once it's launched, you can expect some, most, but probably not all of the digital titles to be available for Mac as well.

So it's not "backasswards" as it's not EA's fault that Apple is pushing the digital distribution. Origin is rather new and the fact we are getting a Mac version is a good thing, and sooner than I would had expected.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
It doesn't have a single player stand alone mode. Online all the time. Thus the issue without getting the money to ensure the servers are up and running.

**** that then.

I learned my lesson after I bought Diablo 3. I will not be repeating the same mistake.

It was bad enough that the game had Facebook and Twitter integration, and that the actions of other people online could influence stuff in your own city. Pulling out the game logic and making it run server side is the last straw.

**** you EA. You're on my **** list with Blizzard. I'm sure you'll both get along quite fine.

-SC

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Retail DVD version is currently PC only too.

I cancelled my pre-order as I had assumed it would be Mac/PC but seeing as they delayed the mac version it will no longer be included on the disc, and may not won't work with PC serial.

Will wait for the native mac version, but will kick myself if it turns out to be a shoddy port (poor performance compared to PC version).

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
I got in too.. Taking forever for the damn to play !!! opened it 40 minutes ago !! im going to have a nap so I can play it in an hour !!!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
First impressions of the beta: hurry up, March.

Second impressions: yes, the complexity is still there. The way you can make addons to buildings is really neat. The data visualization and region gameplay are going to be awesome. My main concern now is difficulty. I was raking in the dough with little effort.

The graphics are nothing to write home about, but the art direction is good. I hope they offer high-res texture pack for machines that can handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.