SimCity Finally Launches on the Mac With Native Version and Cross-Platform Servers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After being delayed for six months, EA has finally released the Mac version of the new SimCity. The game was originally set to come out in February of this year, but EA decided to delay it to "ensure a great experience" for players.

EA has repeatedly emphasized that the Mac version of SimCity is not a "port" of the PC game, but a fully native version designed specifically for the Mac using OpenGL. However, the game will include full cross-platform support to facilitate 'region play' where the cities of multiple players are connected to share utilities and citizenry, with PC and Mac Mayors able to play in the same regions.

[​IMG]
    SimCity's PC launch was more than a little rocky, largely because the game can only be played online. EA requires that the game be connected to its servers at all times.

At launch, SimCity's servers were overwhelmed with traffic and the gameplay experience was extremely poor. Today, EA seems to have ironed out most of the bugs and users are playing the game as intended.

EA on system requirements, viewable in full at the bottom of the purchase page:
    SimCity is available through EA's Origin store at $40 for the standard game, or $60 for a Deluxe Edition that includes additional content. Purchases cover both platforms, so gamers who already bought SimCity on the PC will get the Mac version for free.

Article Link: SimCity Finally Launches on the Mac With Native Version and Cross-Platform Servers

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

Ohhhh a Tornado!!! And there goes half my district. Should be fun.

3. macrumors regular

MacGeek1987

Would love to play, I pre-ordered months ago. Unfortunately, Origin is unstable on the Mavericks beta... just my luck.

4. macrumors 68000

GSPice

I might be getting this mixed up but isn't this the game that people thought was just way too small? As in, quickly running out of things to do?

All I know is that the trailer looked cool lol

5. macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I didn't know people still played this game. I thought it died with the BlackBerry Pearl.

6. macrumors regular

I was really excited about this game until the whole PC fiasco.

7. macrumors 601

Schtumple

That remains the #1 issue, one of my friends said it just gets repetitive after a while as you build out an entire city and then move on, building out another city all over again, at least with Sim City 4 and previous the time span of each city was immense.

8. macrumors 603

Yes, the maps are way too small.

Amazon has this game as a download cheaper, though EA's store does refunds now so that might be a better option.

9. macrumors member

You know, EA could've taken the money right out of my pocket had this game been available when Origin launched for Mac. But instead, the dust of excitement has subsided, and the awful, awful reviews have swayed me away.

10. macrumors 603

Finally! Now if only it would also start properly instead of launching a small garbled window, and I would be happy :D What a joke...

11. macrumors 65816

as expected

i was waiting for this game, but will not buy it until i hear massive positive feedback about decent/good gaming experience

12. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Is this the first time any of the SimCity games have been available for the Mac? I remember playing this in 2000 on a PC.

Seems a little late :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Can't buy it on the UK site. Has anyone in UK managed to D/L it yet?

14. macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

I do not see why Apple don't just do a deal with EA and other software companies to ensure that Amazon do not under price the Mac App Store....?

Oh... wait a minute.... ;)

15. macrumors 603

Every version of Simcity since 1989 has been on the Mac, and almost every Maxis game.

16. macrumors 6502

robbed again.

I've been waiting for this, even bought the PC version on steam figuring I would get the Mac version on Steam when released. And now of course, Not released on Steam.

So much for pre-ordering crap.

17. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

I did and its working perfectly so far.

18. macrumors 603

It's not available on Steam. You must have bought SimCity 4 Deluxe, which is actually a much better game. download the excellent NAM transport mod, run it in WINE (runs great) and enjoy.

19. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

Erm... no you didn't, its not available on steam for mac or pc

20. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

21. macrumors 6502a

The original SimCity was available on the Mac in the 1990 timeframe, in full 4-bit color!

22. macrumors 603

You can get a Mac-compatible version on gog.com.

23. macrumors regular

24. macrumors 6502

thatisme

choppy as all get-out on the 2011 MBA. I expected that, but not nearly this bad. Unplayable at any respectable resolution.

25. macrumors 6502

Why not keep a 10.8 boot sector and boot into it when you want to play Origin?