Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
It's on good old games (gog.com) for $5.99, DRM free, and runs on both Mac and PC.

I can't find it on there. I checked about 15 minutes ago..Got a link?

Edit: nevermind, I found it. Apparently there is no space between sim and city. and only 79MB! :D

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
yup. thanks, ea.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 8.28.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 8.28.41 PM.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 492

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Mine doesn't launch properly. Screen goes completely black, intro music playing in background, then finally sim city pops up in a small window, within a "full screen" app space, the rest of the screen being grey, and nothing responds to any clicks.

Sigh.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Mine doesn't launch properly. Screen goes completely black, intro music playing in background, then finally sim city pops up in a small window, within a "full screen" app space, the rest of the screen being grey, and nothing responds to any clicks.

Sigh.

If it helps I can narrow down one thing - it does work on your rMBP as I've got the same one.

It's EA - delete it, reinstall it and try again - I had to do that on the Windows version.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
If it helps I can narrow down one thing - it does work on your rMBP as I've got the same one.

It's EA - delete it, reinstall it and try again - I had to do that on the Windows version.

Could well be a Mavericks issue, which is more than a little annoying, but understandable.

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
I did. Its the deluxe 4 on steam. Id rather play in on my mac though. My mac pro is Waaaaaay, more powerful than ANY of my PCs.

SimCity Deluxe 4 is a different game. It came out around 2002, if I recall correctly.

In any case, I have plenty of fun playing SimCity Classic in SheepShaver on OS 9, so whatever. :p

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
The game honestly looks good in this screenshot...Maybe I will get it. Appears that there aren't any half-assed skyscrapers like there was in SimCity Societies.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
SimCity Deluxe 4 is a different game. It came out around 2002, if I recall correctly.

In any case, I have plenty of fun playing SimCity Classic in SheepShaver on OS 9, so whatever. :p

Actually I think Deluxe came out around 2004, but I'm not too sure. I'm pretty sure the original game came out in 2003.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008

trying the re-install. Worked fine through bootcamp. Hopefully a reinstall will fix the problem. If not, I'm guessing it's a Mavericks compatibility issue

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
So how's the performance?

Not encouraging so far.

Defaulted to low everything and no shadows on my MBP at 1152 res. Changed to 1680x1050 and medium settings with low shadows and it runs like a slideshow.

Runs lovely at Medium detail at the same res in Windows 7 via Boot Camp on the same machine.

I'l reboot my Mac for the first time in months, but I fear it's not going to fix it. If this is a native app I'm not impressed.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just out of curiosity: I noticed this game gets a nice big front page spot, but other games get relegated to the "Other MacRumors Stories" panel off on the right. Is there some factor that determines which games get mentioned where? Thanks.

Just our feeling about general interest. It's a major title that a lot of people have been waiting for for a while now. Even our blog updates about progress on it were getting a lot of interest, so now that it's here we put it on the front page.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Game is working fine here, fps seems good, however I do notice a lot of input-lag and response-lag.

When I swiftly click on a building: nothing happens, while it should respond since I do the same on the Windows-version of Simcity which responds very good. I need to click firmly (even holding the mouse button for at least half a sec) for the game to respond. Also zooming in/out and rotating the camera results in some slow-mo effect which I'm not getting on the Windows-version.

Anyone elso noticing this? And no: it's not low fps, it's the games' response.

MartinSpoon

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
UK
I've got a mid-2011 iMac, 2.7 i5 and 12GB ram - for a while I was playing on Windows 8 using dual boot on my mac, and the graphics and performance were great. Just installed this 'native' mac version, and performance is really disappointing - it's choppy at low settings with very little on the screen. Massively disappointing.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Tried the PC version and it's fun. Being able to upgrade buildings as needed, the different specialties, etc. Haven't had the time to master it yet, though. I have a 2008 MBP so it runs a little slow, but still playable to me.

I agree with many of the others who don't like the small size of the cities. Would be fun if you could buy additional land for your cities.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
You know, EA could've taken the money right out of my pocket had this game been available when Origin launched for Mac. But instead, the dust of excitement has subsided, and the awful, awful reviews have swayed me away.

if they had released it prematurely and offended you with more bugs, you would have complained that they should have taken their time. you realize that, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.