SimCity for Mac Plagued by Various Teething Issues [Update: Resolved]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 30, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Despite being delayed by six months in order to ensure "a great experience for players", it seems that the Mac version of SimCity is still experiencing a number of serious issues which prevent users from playing the game. Frustrated gamers have taken to EA's official forums and our own discussion thread to vent their annoyances, which range from installation issues to the game only running in windowed mode on certain Macs. While SimCity is running with no problems for some users, it certainly appears that a significant fraction of users are having issues with the game.

[​IMG]
    The issues range from problems starting the software to lagging on even the most high-end Macs. Some users have also discovered after purchasing that SimCity for Mac will not run on machines with OS X 10.7.4 or earlier, despite a still-available FAQ entry stating that users running a minimum of Snow Leopard would be able to play the game.

Users are also finding that the game does not support the higher resolution on the 27-inch iMac or MacBook Pro, with some users forced to run the game in 1440 x 900 resolution rather than the full 2560 x 1440 that the large iMac supports. TUAW also reported that one user had to reinstall Origin three times in order to just download the game, let alone install it.

A Maxis spokesperson has commented on the issues since the game's launch:
    Any SimCity gamers who are experiencing trouble can turn to the official FAQ page on EA's forums, which lists a few possible remedies. It is also worth noting that the game is covered by Origin's "Great Game Guarantee", which was launched a couple of weeks ago and allows players to return games free of charge within 24 hours of purchasing.

Update: A Maxis spokesperson issued MacRumors this statement:
    Article Link: SimCity for Mac Plagued by Various Teething Issues [Update: Resolved]

2. macrumors regular

As a dentist I find the title of this article quite amusing, particularly since teething doesn't occur until several months after birth (launch?).

3. nfl46, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

macrumors 603

nfl46

Downloading it now. Almost finished. So far, installation is going fine.

Edit: Working fine on my MacBook Pro! Great job, EA!

4. macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

Anyone who invested in this trash game after the well publicised issues deserves any problems they get.

5. macrumors G3

roadbloc

6. macrumors 6502a

igazza

I dont understand EA, How could they not support 2560 x 1440

7. macrumors 68040

Because it's EA. They pump out crap. SimCity is a waste of money.

8. macrumors 6502

The whole connected online for single player immediately caused me to lose interest.

9. macrumors regular

windows users were facing problem with this, i don't know why are MB users taking chance. never getting this junk game.

10. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

Totally agree.

If it works well only on some macs, and not in retina higher resolutions, and issues are wide-spread, it smells like the developers who created this weren't very motivated to make SURE it worked, just grunt-work to listen to their bosses and use what development machines that EA bought.

Sounds like a poor culture at EA.

11. everything-i, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

macrumors 6502a

EA have reached a new low with this, I mean you have a fairly small number of machines to aim for, unlike with PCs, and they obviously haven't even tested it with the current range of Macs on sale as it doesn't even support 27" screens native resolution and doesn't work with all the versions of OSX that they advertised.

I was so excited when this new version was first announced because I love the franchise but EA have totally disappointed in every respect and all the easily avoidable problems with the Mac version are the final insult.

12. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

13. macrumors 603

It's a colloquial phrase meaning problems at the beginning of something. Perhaps "birthing pains" would be more accurate.

Anyway, EA aside, I'm not surprised in the least. It's thre first native game they've ported internally. The launch is buttery smooth compared to the PC--could be worse!

14. macrumors 6502a

With this incarnation of SimCity, the focus is on EA finances, not game quality.

15. Guest

And that's the kind of RUBBISH that gets Page 1 coverage on MacRumors...as we said elsewhere, the original article should at most have been on Page 2...it's just another crappy EA game after all.

16. macrumors 68040

I'd hazard an (uneducated) guess that its to do with GlassBox (the rendering and calculation engine) not being able to do it. This is the reason the cities are more like villages - the engine cant handle anything bigger even on the most powerful of machines.

The game is a farce - beautiful graphics but terrible gameplay and even worse hardware support.

That said, it works fine in 1440x900 windowed mode on my 15" rMBP (on a second screen). I played it for half an hour last night and filled a city - game complete.

17. macrumors regular

Early 2009 iMac user hear, I started the game up last night, no problems thus far for me. Having a pretty good time really.

Sorry if you are having problems.

18. macrumors 68030

I am positively shocked to learn that this is crap.

19. macrumors member

Scyanide

It is actually easy to fix the issues.

Step 1: Don't buy from EA.
    Step 2: Enjoy life so much better.

If you did already purchase from EA take advantage of their new return policy or return the game where you purchased it. Then see Step 2.

20. macrumors 6502a

21. macrumors 603

This is why the city size is small, yes, but this has nothing to do with the resolution--city sizes are the same no matter what resolution you use, obviously.

Sounds like they couldn't get acceptible graphical performance above certain resolutions. To be fair, this is not entirely EA's fault given the state of Apple's drivers. Hopefully they will renable it once 10.8.5 and Mavericks are released, as Aspyr is planning to do with Infinite.

It's bad publicity for them--if you hate EA so much, you should appreciate the prime coverage. As I see it, the more Mac gamers who are aware of what a crappy game SimCity is, the better.

Anyway, nobody is requiring you to read the article. If you don't like it, ignore it.

22. Editor emeritus

longofest

I think you meant...

[​IMG]

23. macrumors member

braddicted2mac

I played it for an hour last night. I really enjoyed my experience I didn't have any issues with bugs or anything else. Ease to get on a server at 9pm eastern time was no problem. Gameplay was good.

24. macrumors 65816

Played all day yesterday without any issues. My 17" Macbook Pro is even 2.5 years old and handled it fine on high settings. Surprised.

25. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

What a bunch of dummys. We PC players told you it was utter crap. Why didn't you listen to us. Biggest waste of $70