Similar speakers to Creatures?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cloudgazer, May 26, 2006.

1. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I quite like the Creature speakers,
    but am wondering if there are alternatives at the same price that offer better quality sound.
    I doubt there's too much out there that can compare to the design, or am I wrong?

Suggestions please.

2. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

JBL makes another set, called encouter. I just picked a refurb set straight from Harman for 33 bucks(eBay)! They retail for $150.00! I will be posting a review when I get them and hook them up to my iMac. I looked at the creatures, but everyone gets them. Plus I thought the design of the encounter was more unique. They are surely in the Creature price range and can be had for less.

Most reviews say they sound good, but distort at high volumes. My place is very small, so this isn't really an issue for me.

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=ENCOUNTER&cat=HMM&ser=HMM

The Altec MX5021, I have heard good things about them. They are styled as nice as the Creatures or Encounters but they still look good.

Harmon Kardon Soundsticks, They are a bit pricier. They are USB powered. From what I read they sound good. They have a cool clear look, and the iSub has a blue light in it. The blue light, weird donut base on the satelites, and the price made me decide against the Soundsticks.

That is all I know of as far as similar style offerings.

3. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Well, the Encounters certainly look interesting - if a bit toy-ish.

I'm not necessarily looking for funky designs.
    What I want is the best sound quality for the same price as the Creature speakers.
    Although a nice design wont hurt.