Similar threads?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by emw, Aug 25, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Am I remarkably unobservant (quite possible) or is there a new "Similar threads" feature that wasn't there 5 minutes ago?

Attached Files:

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

ya, was messing around with them. I didn't like how very old threads were pulled up.

Trying to see if it can be limited to more recent posts.

arn

3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

It seems like it could be an interesting thing, but I doubt it has a lot of intelligence (similar to the ads that show up at the bottom of the page :p).

I was viewing a thread named "Singular Possessive" and it came up with references to "Obsessive Possessive" and "singular folder", neither of which is really a good match.

I'd hate to see what happens when one opens a "Help Me" thread. ;)

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In my experience, the feature does a pretty good job and doesn't adversely affect performance in a noticeable way. No doubt it will exhibit some silly choices, just as those automatic ad-generating systems sometimes do, but it might be worth having anyway.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

the #1 thing that jelsoft needs to do is better their search features in vbulletin, because it annoys me even on my site which has less posts than this site has members. So it aggravates me to no end here.

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Where can I find this feature? I'm looking and do not see it. :confused:

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It was on only briefly, for testing.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It would be great if this list could pop up, say during a new thread post.

Once the post is titled, you'd have the ability right there to "search for similar topics"

...kind of like the "have you searched before starting this thread" reminder that was suggested before, although I think this would work better because it will be perceived as a feature rather than a reminder.

That said I know nothing about the forum software...so it might not be workable.