Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehBrad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
After playing with the home button on the 7 and realizing it offered a familiar feel, I was curious if anyone else had a Blackberry Storm 2 and hoped that Apple was moving in that direction with a full screen implementation? The technology was a little gimmicky with the Blackberry, but I feel that it could be used for the keyboard as it was with the Blackberry as well as offering 3D touch functionality and possibly more.

erwheezy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
I owned both the storms. I hated having to adjust the screws and add paper to the battery compartment to get a more firm click.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I don't understand. Doesn't the current iPhone give you haptic feedback across the entire screen?

macmann81

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
West TN
I don't understand. Doesn't the current iPhone give you haptic feedback across the entire screen?

Yes but the feedback on the home button feels more like a click. Feedback on 3D Touch just feels like a quick vibration. I am personally liking the new home button and does remind me of the storm. The click feeling on the storm was awesome in my opinion I would welcome that feel on the iPhone. Very doubtful though.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I used the storm. Great ideas but the software killed it.

The difference was the uniformity of the click screen. It was kind of like the first generation standalone touch trackpads after some heavy use. The edges were very easy to click and the center was a bit stiff.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I wish the rest of 3D Touch felt more like clicks- like the home button- rather than like a vibration.

The vibration just makes it feel like some of those first implementation of haptic feedback on really old Android phones from back in the day.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Yes but the feedback on the home button feels more like a click. Feedback on 3D Touch just feels like a quick vibration. I am personally liking the new home button and does remind me of the storm. The click feeling on the storm was awesome in my opinion I would welcome that feel on the iPhone. Very doubtful though.
From BB Storm reviews, the click was crap. Apple's Taptic Engine is in another league.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
After playing with the home button on the 7 and realizing it offered a familiar feel, I was curious if anyone else had a Blackberry Storm 2 and hoped that Apple was moving in that direction with a full screen implementation? The technology was a little gimmicky with the Blackberry, but I feel that it could be used for the keyboard as it was with the Blackberry as well as offering 3D touch functionality and possibly more.

Man I remember buying a Storm 2 I think it was 2008 or 2009, I felt so much better than Gen 1 iPhone dummies. But it was a Horrible touch screen implementation. I went back to a Traditional Blackberry Bold Touch

Man I remember the Storm 2 Everyone was so Hyped that it would be better than 1st or 2nd Gen iPhones and it wa s horrible I went back to the Blackberry Tour. Then a few more Black berry devices then finally The iPhone 5 was my first iPhone ever.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
lol I had the BB Storm as well, and I thought the same thing the first time I used the 7 home button.

"The iPhone killer", good times...

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Both the Storm and the Storm 2 were horrible phones (for me, I know it's very subjective).

I love the premise - but it did turn out to be a novelty. Maybe they were just too ahead of their time - rubbish software/OS and the hardware available was just too bulky at the time? Who knows - but I never want a phone that does my head in as much as the original Storm did again! (I didn't have the Storm 2, I learned my lesson - but I know other's that had it and I still got to have a play.)

macmann81

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
West TN
From BB Storm reviews, the click was crap. Apple's Taptic Engine is in another league.

I would sure hope that the Taptic Engine is in another league considering it has been 8 years since the storm was released. I was not trying to say the storm implemented the click feel better than Apple. Just stating that the home button reminded me of the click feel of the storm and I would welcome that same feel for 3D Touch.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I would sure hope that the Taptic Engine is in another league considering it has been 8 years since the storm was released. I was not trying to say the storm implemented the click feel better than Apple. Just stating that the home button reminded me of the click feel of the storm and I would welcome that same feel for 3D Touch.

From my memory the click from the Storm was never good to begin with.

macmann81

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
West TN
From my memory the click from the Storm was never good to begin with.

To each his own. I liked the click feel and would like it better for 3D Touch than the little vibrate you get now. Didn't realize the BB storm was still a touchy subject on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.