simple airport express question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by biohazard6969, May 2, 2006.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok, so i need to set up my express as a remote station but it doesn't work. i have an airport extreme upstairs and want to use the express to share internet to my xbox. i tried to use WDS from the extreme to set up the express but i don't get a connection on my xbox. i know this is simple i had it working for about a year but had to reset the express. any help would be great

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How does the XBox connect to the Express? Is it done wirelessly or cabled?

Does the Extreme recognise that the Express is on its network? You can check this through the AirPort Admin Utility in your Utilities folder. :)

3. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok i looked on the apple support page to see if i set up wds correctly, then i hooked the express to my powerbook and turned airport off to see if i could get the internet connection and it worked. this must mean that it is something wrong with the xbox....i don't know what though. oh and the xbox is connected to the express by an ethernet cable

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you've set up the APExtreme as a WDS main base station ("WDS" tab in Airport Admin Utility config screen) and the APExpress as a WDS remote base station, and have "Create a Wireless Home Network (home router)" selected in the "AirPort" tab, then make sure that, for the APExpress, in the "AirPort" tab "Base Station Options..." button's screen, that you've selected "Enable Ethernet Port".

Ah. I think the XBox needs certain ports to be enabled. Are these being forwarded to it? Sorry - been a long time since I set up an XBox, but as I recall it wasn't trivial due to some little issue, wireless or not.

Attached Files: