Simple Animation Program for Mac (Or even Windows!)

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Doctor Suarez, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Doctor Suarez macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2006
    Hi. I'm looking for a simple 2-D animation program that will allow me to essentially make what looks like cutout animation, like Terry Gilliam's work, or South Park before they went to Maya.

Cost is a factor, so the cheaper the better, so long as it's functional and not for children.

The only program I have found so far is Anime Studio 5. Is this a good option? Are there others?

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    I can think of nothing cheap or free that will do this, but I am sure there are.

Adobe After Effects

come to mind immediately
  3. Doctor Suarez thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2006
    Ouch... those would be examples of too much money. But thank you!
  4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    What about "Blender". Maybe a bit of overkill for 2D but you can define all your wire frame object to be on a plane.
  5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Well, I'm not a master animator, and the animation I have done is all "traditional" stop motion work with clay, but the Anime Studio 5 you referenced seems like the right tool for what you want to do, and it's only $40 on Amazon, so quite affordable, compared to the other tools.

I may even snag a copy to do the mouth/eye/other facial animation on my stop motion stuff... the lip syncing feature would be a HUGE time saver over trying to hand animate mouths frame by frame, plus let me make quick changes to the script after the animation is all shot. EDIT: Nice, the lip sync package is GPL'd and free for download, which saves me $40. :p

Anyways, I think you answered your own question! :D
  6. emorydunn macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    Austin Texas
    If you are looking for REALLY simple animation you could try animated gifs... but that is for veyr basic animation.
  7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC