Simple / Basic CAD Program for Jr. High

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techteach, Sep 15, 2004.

1. techteach macrumors newbie

I am looking for suggestions for a more simple and basic CAD program for 7th, 8th & 9th Graders to use. I would like the studetns to be able to easily do basic drawings for their woods and metals projects without spending weeks just learning the menus as with the professional CAD packages out there. I would also like to be able to use the Program for a 8 week Drafting class for 9th graders.

Of course, in education, cost is always a high priority as well.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and reccomondations!

OH, I FORGOT TO MENTION, WE ARE AN "APPLE SCHOOL." THE SOFTWARE NEEDS TO BE FOR MAC.

Mr. K

2. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I would say autocad would be a great program. The stuff they need to use it for could be pick up in a day or so. It not going to be that confusing and the extra menus they would never really see. Autocad is a very easy program to use.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

If you do use AutoCad just get the LT version. It will have all they need.

4. Doraemon macrumors 6502

There is no AutoCAD version for Mac (at least none that is newer that 6 years or so)...

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Well the Mac part was added after our posts. For mac based the choice is limited. You could give QCAD a try as it is very basic. One program i am looking at switching to is PowerCADD. It seems to be full featured and is probably more than you need, but might be something to check out.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Are you talking about the same Autocad that has a bazillion options hidden in a text-based console?

7. jptrott macrumors newbie

Try looking on http://www.macupdate.com

there are a few options that may work best for your needs. Most have a demo that you can use to see if they are what your looking for.

The program we use in my Architectural office is ArchiCAD. But may not be what you are looking for. They do sell an educaitonal version.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Archicad, powerCADD and VectorWorks are all good professional level programs. That doesn't mean that they couldn't be used by your students to do simple drawings for their projects. It really doesn't take long to learn some basics.....it isn't necessary to learn every tool on every palette to be able to draw simple, useful drawings.

They're not "cheap" though, but maybe you can get "education" prices that will work for you.

An inexpensive option to consider for simple CAD work would be CADintosh, which is shareware made by Lemke Software, the same company that makes GraphicConverter. I think CADintosh costs something like $30.

Do your Macs already have Adobe Illustrator installed on them? If they do, you could consider getting CADtools which is a plug-in for AI that adds drafting tools to Illustrator.

A couple of other options to look at for programs that are less expensive than Archicad/VecxtorWorks/PowerCADD.....MacDraft is still around and there's a relatively new program called HighDesign.

9. ntg macrumors regular

ntg

...or how about ConceptDraw? (from Odessa)

I'm not sure what level of 3D you need, but I find it great for all the basics.