Simple Character Creation Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kalisphoenix, Mar 12, 2006.

1. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I've been doing some work with Comic Life -- it's a fantastic app. What I'd like to do is make a little comic in my spare time. However, characters are somewhat important to this :rolleyes: and since the accident, my hands aren't that great on the Wacom. I can't 3-D model my way out of a paper bag, and I don't want to spend that much effort on this project.

What I'm looking for is some character creation software. More detailed than the original Sims, MUCH less detailed than Poser. About the level of the Sims 2. Just something simple with decent results -- that's all I'm looking for. I've Googled like a Googling mother****er for about two weeks now, but I've had no luck.

I'd prefer it to be a Mac app, of course, but either Windows or Linux would also be acceptable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    If not Poser then, hm.....

Avatar Labs, maybe? I tried the demo, and it makes decent enough models. Easy to use, too. Requires Windows though.

Don't really know of anything else besides Poser and Avatar Labs.. :confused:
  3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    If you want to put together quickly and easily, might I suggest Photobooth? Use any kids toys you can get your hands on, and take pictures of them in Photobooth with one of the comic-book style filters. It might not be as flexible as you need for your story, but it's an easy way to get started.
  4. kalisphoenix thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Thanks for your help :)

Neither Poser nor DAZ Studio seem to be quite stable under Rosetta anyway :p

I'll check out Avatar Labs.

Whooleytoo: That's actually how I'm doing the scenery (more or less). I've been taking pictures of random things I liked for several years, so I have a lot of stock photos of alleys, outsides of bars, stuff like that. Believe it or not, it actually looks pretty fantastic in Comic Life.

I don't have any kids' toys (or any kids), but it's an interesting idea. I also like stop-motion animation, and I've been wanting to play with iStopMotion :)P). This is a good excuse 8)