simple FCP 5 question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BollywooD, Nov 13, 2005.

1. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

im just transitioning from imovie, and finding fcp5 not so intuitive?

for example, when i add a new clip to the timeline i have to manually place after the previous clip - this is annoyingly time consuming, as i have to magnify the timeline to add the clip so i dont leave "gaps" between clips.....

can i place the new clip directly after the previus by default?

I also discovered i can place anywhere after - and then delete the gap..... but this sometimes will not work??? whynot???

also, sometimes, when i wish to use a transition FCP5 will not let me place the transition onto certain clips???? I have no idea why not - and it "seems" random as to which tracks i can not add the transition too.....

please help and enlighten me to these seemingly simple problems......

thanks

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Firstly, load your clips into the viewer window, set your in and out points, and drag the clip from the viewer onto the canvas window. A menu will pop up that allows you to perform certain operations like Insert edit and Overwrite edit. Be mindful of where your timeline head is parked on the Timeline window.

As for transitions, you need to add the transitions at the cut points. If so, you have to make sure there is enough frames before and after the clip. You cant add a transition on a clip right at the start of the clip as there won't be any padded frames.

Anyway, I find FCP more intuitive to use than iMovie, but that's just me. Keep slogging away for 1-2 weeks, and by then, you'll be editing like a pro.

3. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

the other thing about final cut is that you need more hard drive space for it to flow which is annoying

4. BollywooD thread starter macrumors 6502

BollywooD

Wow! i didnt even realise you could drop clips into the canvas window! thats exactly what i needed.... thanks.
    i did figure out the transition problem too.... thanks for that.

so much for the manual.... i allways look at instruction manuals as a last resort.... I guess i like throwing myself in the deep end, and looking at problems as they arise!

So far i really like FCP compared to imovie... i just need that break-in period.... thanks for your help.

5. cwright macrumors 6502a

As far as positioning your clips goes, you can also turn on 'snapping' by pressing the 'n' key. this will make your new clip lock on to the end of the existing clips in the timeline so you don't have to zoom in to get it right.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You can press the up and down arrow keys to snap to edit points as well. There are other key shortcuts but they all suck. :p