Simple HTML Editor with Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development (archive)' started by tomf87, Oct 14, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

tomf87

Anyone know of a stable simple HTML editor that includes HTML help?

I know I could use DreamWeaver but I really don't feel like forking over that kind of money to just monkey around in HTML. I don't think I would benefit that much from it either, since I want to learn the coding myself.

2. macrumors regular

I just use SubEthaEdit and if I need help with HTML, I check over my page with the W3C Validator for correct syntax, and if I don't know something;

HTML Goodies is a great place, and then there is always HTML for Dummies . Personally I prefer XHTML over HTML, as its HTML with the stricter rules in order to keep coding a page follow standards a heck of a lot more easily.

3. macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

taco html edit is my favorite editor. it includes syntax highlighting, an image-map wizard, and live preview (and it's free). if you're looking for a gui editor, the mozilla suite includes a graphical html editor. for help with HTML and XHTML (like chealion said, xhtml is the way to go), try w3 schools, they have great free tutorials on xhtml, javascript, css, dom, xsl, etc.

4. macrumors 6502

+1 on everything FattyMembrane (ew) says. I use Taco as my BBEdit replacement at home for contracting, etc. and w3schools.com for *all* of my HTML reference. and www.irt.org for my javascript reference and tutorials, etc.

However, if you're looking for a WYSIWYG editor a la Dreamweaver, I don't know of a single app that comes close. I forked out $1200 CAD for Studio MX about a year ago, but I'm a contractor...