Simple (I think) Network Card/RF Quickie

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cmaracz88, Dec 9, 2005.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

Which do you think would likely cause less rf radiation? A network card in a grounded deskptop case? Or a usb wireless doggle attached to a usb extension cable sitting several feet away.

(background information)

I have a computer desktop that I have currently connected to the internet through a D-Link wirless router connected to via a off-brand (I think) USB doggle. Anyways, since I sit so long at the computer (3-10 hours a day usually) I figuare I might as well spend a few extra dollars and try to reduce the radiation, there are two things which can be easily and readily done:

A) Buy a usb extension cable for about $10 CND and keep the doggle away from me, since it is my udnerstanding that rf "roll off" rapidly after just a few good feet.

B) Buy a network card over the doggle, since it's grounded, which would also cost me about $10 CND.

Now, I asked this to a Radioshack employee and a Business Depot Employee. The former said that the card would be safer since the computer is grounded. The latter said that the grounding probably won't do anything and that the usb extension cable would probably be better.

I greatly appreciate any help.

--
    PLEASE NOTE: I don't want to hear "if you're worried about radiation go live in the wilderness" or "if you care than you might as well shield the entire house with alluminum." It's not witty. At all. And the fact that you can find such an implicitly great level of absurdity in my willingness to spend $10 CND and a few minutes on a message board to reduce radiation (which the government has implied "may" lead to cancer) to me shows that you're likely trying to rationalize your own worries.

(Sorry if you didn't understand that last part, but I recall having a simular thread like this a while ago and I don't think I got any real answers, mostly just people saying I was ridiculous for trying to take a simple and easy measure).

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The desktop case may interfere with the wireless signal and I believe the wireless unit may then boost the signal in order to compensate for the interference.

I'd use the dongle on an externsion lead and try to place it in an open space away from where you'd normally sit and from obstructions.

Since you mentioned tin-foil, if you're only using this connection for the one machine, you could try a couple of pringle cans, one for the dongle and the other for the wireless router. I understand pringle cans can help focus WiFi signals - point them towards each other.

Oh - and if you use a Mobile/Cell phone, there's probably more radiation from that than your WiFi connection - as it's used over greater distances (Km's rather than m's).

3. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your insight.

Sounds simple enough. Although I think I'll pass on the pringles can idea :D

One last thing you could perhaps tell me, since you mentioned signal strength being important:

In order to keep rf minimal, should you set the signal to be as low as it can go while still properly functioning? Because right now my signal strength is usually high or highest and I'm only a few metres away (directly upstairs pretty much) from the router.

4. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member