simple little stuff i need help on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BrianSalts, Sep 15, 2006.

1. BrianSalts macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    i think its simple...

anyways, i need to know how to align icons in my finder without having to manually drag them to align them. so when i drag apps into my app folder it just sits where i dragged them, is there anyway to automatically align them?

and, when i downloaded zips and dmgs and files from flock, sometimes it sits on my desktop and sometimes it doesnt.

sometimes it appears on my desktop and sometimes it only appears in the desktop part of finder. it's confusing me.

and finally, my blackbook came with an 80 gig harddrive. after installing all the stuff i needed and transferring a small amount of music over, i only have 50 some gigs left. whats taking up all that room?

thanks in advance.
  2. ginner macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    Yorkshire, England
    With Finder selected go to the menu bar at the top and select View>Show view options. Then check Snap to grid or keep arranged by whatever you prefer.

Extra OS languages can take up a lot of space; download a program called Monolingual to remove them. Also some of the iLife apps, if you don't use them, can be removed if you're not going to use them; Garageband and iDVD for instance are massive.
  3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    I agree with the above poster's comments about the size of iLife, and some of the extra language files. One thing to keep in mind is that your HD size is reported as 80GB in documentation, but your computer regards it as closer to 74 GB, due to the difference in 1024 bytes being one kilobyte versus 1000 bytes. When drives get to be quite large this disparity becomes significant.
  4. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    okay, how bout the case of the missing files-

i downloaded some torrents and theyre stord in this unknown folder called BoW, along with another bunch of folders taht I can't find really easily.

Where do all my downloaded files go, especially the zips? do i have to delete them, because last time i downloaded them to my desktop and they didnt appear on it, but only appeared on the dektop folder in finder.

very weird.

and, is it possible to close teh lid of the macbook without getting it to sleep? my powercord is plugged in and stuff. pc laptops can do this. all i want to do is to stop dust from getting on my keyboard while i wait for my torret to finish downloading.