simple network solution needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elskeptico, Dec 31, 2006.

1. elskeptico macrumors member

May 21, 2004
    I've got a MacPro with DSL wired directly. My wife got a Macbook for Christmas (she was good this year), and so I want to set up a small, simple wireless network for our place. I'm completely ignorant of wireless networking, so here come the questions:

1) Can I install an Airport card in my MacPro and share our DSL connection that way? Also, can I share my USB printer that way?

2) If option 1 isn't a no go, what kind of device can I plug into my second ethernet port to share the DSL? I'm confused by the different things like access point, router, etc.

I've currently got Internet Sharing and printer sharing working via my second ethernet port (works great), but I'd love to lose the wire.

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

Dec 2, 2006
    kidnapped by aliens
    You have a couple of options.

I'm not sure but don't you already have an airport card in both machines ? If so you can setup you MacPro to share internet. Otherwise install one and set your system preferences to share internet via airport.

If you can go wired, just plug an ethernet cable in the second port and set your machine to share internet via that ethernetport.

If you don't want to leave your MacPro running to serve your wife's laptop you can install a wireless router : airport express/extreme or another brand