Simple Photo Editing App Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joeswinehart, Apr 12, 2005.

1. joeswinehart macrumors member

Hi-
    I'm wondering if any of you have a good recommendation for a simple photo editing app for someone not needing a full-blown photoshop type program...a co-worker's 70-some year old mom is getting into digital scrapbooking and needs something to do a little more than iPhoto will provide.
    Cut, crop, resize, merge panoramas, add borders to pictures, text overlays, etc. No need to create flaming metallic orbs or anything, so the myriad menus of Photoshop would definitely be overkill. She is running 10.3, but on an older graphite iMac so it isn't the latest and greatest processor, either.
    Any ideas/links to trials would be appreciated.
    Thanks-
    ~joe

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want really simple, iPhoto ships with every Mac. Next up is GraphicConverter, which I believe ships with every Mac. If your Mac doesn't come bundled with GraphicConverter, get it! It can be used as an iPhoto subsititute. GraphicConverter is a wonderful application from a wonderful developer. What's more, it is fully functional even if you don't pay the shareware fee. If you don't want to deal with Photoshop's copy-protection--I mean activation--you may give Photoshop Elements 3.0 a try. It does just about everything that the vast majority of users want at a much smaller price than its big brother. I would also be remiss if I didn't mention the GIMP, but I wouldn't call it simple. This X11-based app is a free alternative to the full-blown version of Photoshop.

3. Bear macrumors G3

I'd say see if iPhoto meets their needs, if not, Photoshop Elements 3 is the way to go.

4. joeswinehart thread starter macrumors member

Gracias, Señores.

Well, I will pass on the info for Elements, that looks like it might do the trick, and it should run on the G3.
    Thanks for the prompt responses, if anyone else has any real pearls of wisdom feel free to post them here...just don't look for a reply, if I am not careful I will lose my coveted newbie status by 2008 and I am hoping to carry it all the way to 2010.
    Thanks again
    ~joe