Simple question about macbook ram purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timberford, Sep 21, 2006.

1. timberford macrumors newbie

Will this ram work in my macbook ?

I wanna upgrade to 2gb.

If you have a link to a UK supplier where I can get a better deal, do post!

Thanks.

2. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

i was asking earlier also about RAM... here's a LINK, hope it's useful

3. timberford thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i read that. but i want to make sure for certain.

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The only way to be certain is to buy RAM from a supplier who guarantees it for your Mac - simple as that. It will probably work (presuming you've checked the specs for your Mac and it matches up), but not certainly.

5. timberford thread starter macrumors newbie

i appreciate these links pointing me to spec.

i have been looking at the one on the apple developer website and according to that i need...

DDR2 667MHz (PC2-5300) SDRAM SO-DIMM unbuffered, unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and non-ECC.

On the product spec for the ram i'm looking at I can't see anything about nonparity, unregistered or 8-byte... i'm not even sure what they mean! :confused:

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

i'd email them and ask. We don't have CanadaRAM here any more to provide authoritative answers on this subject. They one you're looking at also says PC5300 as opposed to PC2-5300 - i have no idea what difference this makes if any... :eek:

Sometimes it's just less heartache to go with a supplier that guarantees it, even if you pay a little more. I'm sure CanadaRAM said something somewhere that there are subtle differences even within manufacturers, which is why Crucial frinstance, sells Mac guaranteed RAM and non-Mac guaranteed.

I've used second-hand generic brand PC RAM in the past and not had problems (that i'm aware of at least) with it in G3s, but maybe i'm just a tin-arse.

7. saga macrumors regular

Just this evening I purchased and installed the exact memory from your link into my macbook. Everything is A OK. My book recognized it, and is running very well.

8. timberford thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers saga that's exactly the reply i was hoping someone could give me. :D