Simple question for a simple mind

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by J.C., May 10, 2002.

1. J.C. macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm trying to import pics from my dig. camera...I had to purchase a CF card reader and installed the software...loaded the software and rebooted the computer.

Here's my question after the reboot my iMac booted up in OS 9.2, now how do I get it to boot up in OS X??

This is my first mac ever and I am having severe problems with the ideal of two operating systems in which you can use one program in both OS's but then again you can only in OS 9 for the older programs...and don't forget that in OS X you can use the classic environment where ???? and ??? and ??? and ??? assuming that everything that I said is correct???

way too confusing for a beginner.

So please help!

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Simple question for a simple mind

Regardless of which OS your Mac boots to by default, you can choose which OS you boot into when you start up your Mac by holding down the 'option' key.

When you are in OS 9, you can set the OS your Mac boots into by default by going to Control Panes>Startup Disk.

When you are in OS X, you can set the oS you Mac boots into by default by going to System Prefs>Startup Disk.

Apps:
    When you are in OS 9, you can run all OS 9 applications and 'carbon' applications. Carbon applications are apps that can run os both OS 9 and OS X natively. There are a few exceptions to the rule (like Office v.X), but that's generally how it works.

When you are in OS X, you can run all OS X applications, and you can run nearly all OS 9 apps as well. Your Mac does this in "Calssic mode," which effectively emulates OS 9. Again there are a few exceptions to the rule - some apps won't run in Classic mode, but most will.

It had honestly never occurred to me just how confusing this could be to someone new to the Mac... but now that I've been asked to explain it, I realise just how weird it all must seem. I'd say "shame on Apple," but there's really no better way they could have made the transition. It's actually pretty easy compared to how it could have been...

3. J.C. thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Pleasure. Always willing to help out a fellow Mac user.

5. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Another tip

J.C. -

Another thing to keep in mind is that, unless the installer specifically tells you you have to reboot, 9 times out of 10 installing software, peripherals, etc doesn't require a reboot.

cleo

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

if you want to jump inbetween w/out using the option trick (which is very slow, at least for me) you can use the startup disk control panel.

in OS 9.x:
    -go the the apple menu
    -go to control panels
    -select 'startup disk'
    -click on the arrow next to your drive if it does not already show the two System Folders
    -click on the OS X System folder, and then either click restart or quit startup disk and restart

in OS X:
    -open System Preferences
    -click on Startup Disk
    -click on the OS 9 System Folder and then restart

7. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

beej already mentioned that here...though not as detailed of course..