Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monroepq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
A very hot place
There was a time about a year or two ago when 512mb of RAM was far beyond perfect for both a PC and Mac, but I've maxed out my PC to what it can do and 512 is all I've had. I'm planning on getting an iMac G5 for Christmas and I was wondering if 512 was too little. Would it be wise to purchase un additional 256mb later for a total of 768?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Buy it from Apple with a 512 stick and add a 512 stick from crucial or newegg.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I'm a home user i do all the ilife stuff, etc. When i got my imac standard with the 256mb i thought it was fine and worked well with just that much, but since i've added and other 256mb and i don't have any bumps- smooth computing. If your a user liek me 512 is just enough.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I think 512 MB is fine, as long as you aren't trying to run VirtualPC on with other apps. Heavy duty photoshop or video editing would also benefit from extra memory.

monroepq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
A very hot place
daveL said:
I think 512 MB is fine, as long as you aren't trying to run VirtualPC on with other apps. Heavy duty photoshop or video editing would also benefit from extra memory.

I use photoshop occasionally but never for anything too heavy. 512 is usually fine on my PC and I'm guessing any slowness would be the cause of my fast-aging 1gh piii processor, though this is normally with games. I guess I'm just wondering if 512 should be fine on a MAC, one that has a processor which is probably three-four times the speed of mine.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Whether you buy a new mac or buy a new windows machine, go for as much memory as you can afford.

My PB copes quite well on 1GB, regardless of how many applications are running (although VPC is a bit of a hog and slows other apps slightly).

My Toshiba (512MB) runs out of puff with more than half a dozen applications running and doing work (if they are idle it handles more).

It depends what you want to do with it: more apps or more graphic intensive apps (esp games) = more memory.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
If you are on a budget then yes stick with a total of 512 ram. If you can afford a bit more stay away from Apple since they ram is way to expensive, stick with the 256 stock ram and add either a 512 or 1gig dimm.

It will last you a lot longer and run much faster.

in any regard 512 ram will be standard on most if not all machines next year as stock as VPC needs 384, then again 384 is just minimum requirements.

All depends if you are surfing, emailing, listening to music, watching a DVD on the new iMac G5 256 should be quite fine even working with PS CS. I know since I did it all on 256. :D

512 will only make things more responsive and quicker. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.