Simple question - Re: adding users

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mickie Mac, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Mickie Mac macrumors newbie

ok so here it goes...

How do I add a new user for my computer?

That's it... well sort of....

I'm running OS 10.3 and have never needed multiple users before since i was the only one using my computer. Now that i've moved out my roomate will be using my computer, which is fine by me since she's always used a PC and has just reciently commented on how much she like the Mac! :D

So I'd like to set her up with her own user ID so she can custom her settings (eg Chat programs and Internet Explorer favourits) without worring about my own settings. How can I or What do I need to do in order to allow her to use the programs without changing or deleting IMPORTANT files or programs? (this happened without the mutiple users on my old OS 9.2.)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can't picture it exactly (at work so not at my mac) but you just do it though system preferences > users (or words to that effect), you can't miss it!

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

assuming you've put your personal files where they're supposed to be (i.e. somewhere under your Home, like in Documents), then you're fine.

when you create a new account, it defaults to Standard user. such an account won't, for example, let the user delete apps from Applications.

4. Mickie Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks edesignuk.
    As far as setting the restrictions do i need to select each program individually or does it apply it to all of them?

I use MSN messenger for internet chatting, would i need to put a copy of the program in her folder in order for her settings to be saved? (so each time i log on my settings are there and when she signs on her's haven't been touched).

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're overthinking it. preferences et. al. are stored in each user's Library. everyone uses the same copy of the app.