Simple questions about applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Jan 9, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I have orderd my new macbook and every single day I face up many questions about mac applications.
    I wonder if it useful to start this topic in order to have short answers for my short questions that they do not deserve special separate topics.
    If I discover that an application needs special topic to be discussed I will do it.
    So, lets start...I will type my questions by the time I think of them.

-Does superduper backup program, take backup in dvd-r disks?
    -I want a program to create screensavers. I searched pure-mac but I 've not found something. Suggestions?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

SuperDuper is not a backup program as such. It's more like a disk cloning tool. To use it for backups you normally have it clone your entire drive to an external drive. It cannot (to my knowledge) span across multiple DVDs or external drives.

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I suppose that there is a mac os application like windows ghost, which takes backup not only to hard disks but also in dvds.

4. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Quartz Composer can create a screen saver. It might be too techie for you - I don't know. It's part of the developer tools.

5. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

What/where is developer tools? Is it something inside os internal applications?

6. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I haven't tried it myself, but i believe Deja Vu can be set up to burn backups to DVD either manually or scheduled.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a set of applications, tools and APIs for developers. It comes free with every new Mac but is not installed by default. The installer will be on the DVD that came with your Mac. There may be an installer in /Applications/Installers/.

The version with your Mac is probably out of date (yes even on a brand-new Mac). Sign up for a free developer account at Apple Developer Connection and you can download the most up-to-date tools.

8. cool11, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010

cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

To install the vast majority of Mac programs you simply drag the icon of the application from within the disk mounted on your desktop to your Applications folder. That's it.

10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Portable apps are designed to go with you. Meaning you take all your data with you, like preferences and such.

Mac OS X applications are portable in the sense that you can move them around your hard drive, or to another computer and they will still work, but you might have to reset some things or reenter your serial number. Try moving an installed application in Windows and you will understand.

11. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Does parallels application keep for itself a pre-configured hard disk space(container) or this changes in a dynamic way?

12. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

If I order a copy of Photoshop, can I just pay for it one time and use it on two macs by reusing the activation key? Or do I have to pay for it twice? I'm a photographer and partake in extensive photo editing.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Technically, you can install and activate Photoshop on multiple Macs, however this is against the license, which only permits it to be installed on one Mac at a time I think.

It would be no different that Photoshop on a PC.

14. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

For video conversions, the best application is sorenson squeeze?

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Expensive, that's for sure:eek:
    I use iSquint, but then again I'm just working with converting to iPod usable videos usually..

16. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Is there any good application for surfing anonymously the web?

The new adobe cs3 beta suite, runs without problems on mac os x? If there are problems I will not get it and I will wait for the final version.

Is there any good player to play videos with subtitles?

A good firewall? Pure-mac.com lists a lot of them, I dont know which one to use.

17. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You have a lot of questions. :)

There is no beta of the CS3 suit, only Photoshop. It's fast, but buggy.

VLC.

Just use the one that comes with OS X. System Prefrences -> Sharing -> Firewall.

18. cool11, Jan 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010

cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

How can I record video chat/conversations from skype and other similar programs?

Any application to take raw images of cd-dvds like alcohol 120 in windows, doing copies even if there are protection systems in order to take backup of my original purchased disks?

I installed vnc viewer from realvnc to my mac and it goes slow.
    I know that these remote applications are slow but it is very slow.
    I set the viewer to have only 64colors, no wallpapers from the connected pc and I did everything I could.
    Any ideas for faster remote administration to the pc?

Do you know notepad of windows?
    I want something like that in mac.
    Dont tell me textedit because I want something that would hold only text.
    When I paste a document in textedit it holds the original format of the text.
    I want an app without keeping any previous formating of text. Just the text alone.

I want a firewall for my mbp. Which one do you suggest?
    I want one to alert me even for outgoing connections, not only ingoing attacks.

19. MP4-22 macrumors member

In textedit go to format, make plain text.

20. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Once in windows, I had a small app sitting on taskbar showing me in red bar(full or empty etc) if my pc used the internet/network.
    This was very useful for me, just a glance and I saw it.
    It was also importan because I connect wireless through prepaid mobile data packs that cost much, so I want to know every single minute if an application download something.

Is there such a similar application to sit on mac os x statusbar to display this network/internet traffic?

21. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

You can turn off rich text in the Edit menu, or in the preferences by checking the "Ignore rich text commands." boxes

"Once in windows, I had a small app sitting on taskbar showing me in red bar(full or empty etc) if my pc used the internet/network.
    This was very useful for me, just a glance and I saw it.
    It was also importan because I connect wireless through prepaid mobile data packs that cost much, so I want to know every single minute if an application download something.

Is there such a similar application to sit on mac os x statusbar to display this network/internet traffic?"

I'm sure there are menubar items and widgets like that, but I wouldn't know what they're called. Just search the internet or something :).

22. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I have downloaded microsoft windows media player. It is a bin file.
    Even stuffit cannot open it.
    How can I use it or decompress it?

23. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

24. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Don't use it! Even the microsoft website says they are no longer developing it for mac, and suggests using Flip4Mac.

Plays wmv files under quicktime, in your browser etc.

:)

25. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I have a nokia phone.
    Nokias software for managing the phone from computer, exists on windows but not in mac os x. In windows I used nokia application when I attached the mobile to laptop using a usb cable.

Is there any solution to manage the nokia mobile phone from mac os x?