Simple questions about os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cool11, Jan 9, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I have orderd my new macbook and every single day I face up many questions about mac os x.
    I wonder if it useful to start this topic in order to have short answers for my short questions that they do not deserve special separate topics.
    So, lets start...I will type my questions by the time I think of them.

How many space in hard disk the osx takes?
    I want to have my hard disk cleaned from every program that I do not need. What do you suggest?

2. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I think the install of os x that comes with the computer takes up about 20GB (i could be wrong).

What i do when i get a new mac is do a complete erase and install of the os (under options from the installer disc), and i remove which of the extra apps i do not need (i.e. garage band etc) as well as extra printer drivers and languages - you can save up to 10GB or maybe more that way.

3. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I would hold fire on removing all those programs for a little while. There is no performance hit or system slow down or extra instability from having more programs installed on OSX. I know on a Windows music production computer the first thing I would do is strip the system clean but this is not an issue on OSX. :)

On the other hand, if this is purely a space issue, and if space is *really* that tight, I think you can save 1 or 2 GB by reinstalling OSX and removing languages and printer drivers you don't need.

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Where tf did you get 20GB from???!?!?!?!?!? Its closer to 2.78 GB for a clean install....sheesh...20GB....

5. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Except from reinstall os, is there any other safe way to erase these applications?

I would also like to know, if I will be able to install leopard version of os, when it comes out, over my existing installation of os.
    So that I could keep my system preferences, all the alterations I made to the system, the customized applications etc

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Most applications in OSX are removed by simply dragging the app's icon from the Applications folder to the trash and emptying the trash.

There can be some residual files, most of them are a few KB in size and unlike Windows they have no effect on the system performance if left alone. There is no Regsitry in OSX, programs are, for all intents and purposes, self-contained. That icon you see in the Applications folder isn't just a launcher but a folder containing all the resources for that program.

The only files created by a program outside this self-contained folder are preference files that tell the program where you want the window, how you've set up your bookmarks etc. The plist file for a program is only called upon by that program, it has no effect on the system as a whole.

So, in summary, the best way to delete a program is to just drag it into the trash and empty the trash. None of that dll and registry problems from Windows here.

If you want to save space you can choose, when you get your Mac to do a clean install of the system and you can customise this install to exclude languages you don't speak, printer drivers you won't use and any programs you see as superfluous. It's not necessary though as the OS won't get bogged down with lots of programs installed as they are all self-contained but it can save you a good deal of space.

7. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

You can drag any app to the trash to get rid of it :) that will take most of the associated files... You should also just be able to do an upgrade of the OS so it shouldn't mess anything up.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, there is an "upgrade" option when you start the Leopard installation.

9. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

You might want to consider getting an introductory book to OS X as these questions are pretty much covered in most (if not all) books on OS X. Google can also be your friend ;) *hint hint* ;)

10. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

The FULL install that came with my MBP (including garage band, all languages and printer drivers) was WAY more than 2.78GB - but i forget exactly how much it was. garageband itself is more than 2.78GB... sheesh

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

My Mac Pro came with about a 15GB OS install. Managed to cut it down to about 10, but could have got it lower except I wanted the iLife apps.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u buy any mac now, pre-installer stuff is around 15~20GB. 3G is clean install, which u need to do by yourself after you receive the machine.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You will have a brand new machine running an OS and a set of bundled apps and utilities which you will have available for the first time. You will have ample free hard drive space. Learn your new machine before you remove things from it. It is likely that you will not need or want everything that is installed on your computer. However, you may discover some gems that you were not expecting. You have no idea how many newbies come to forums like this one begging for help with restoring needed things that they have deleted. You have plenty time to delete stuff after you understand your new computer.

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'll wholeheartedly second this. It's been said several times but this says it best so far. See also the following book: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Mac-Book-Tiger/dp/0321335341/ref=pd_sim_b_4/002-9795239-4964812

15. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Ι started to read a book called 'Mac os x Bible'. It seems to be very good, I have also read the Dreamweaver bible and it was perfect.

Although I read many pages (200 and over) I did not understood what do I have to do with mouse.

I use windows about a decade. So how can I do many functions in mac os x, like I do in windows? What about right click? What about touchpad of macbook pro?

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well as for the mouse question,

With a one-button mouse (old Apple mouse or laptop trackpad):

Left Click = click
    Right Click = control+click (or two finger tap on trackpad when enabled)
    Scroll (on trackpad) = two-finger movement over trackpad in all directions.

With a 2 button mouse (mighty mouse or any other 2 button USB mouse):

Left Click = Left Click
    Right Click = Right Click

With a 3 button scrollwheel USB mouse (any):

Left Click = Left Click
    Right Click = Right Click
    Middle Click = configurable action set in system preferences
    Scroll = Scroll

Well, you get the picture.... Macs aren't limited to a one-button mouse, Apple don't even make a one-button mouse anymore, the Mighty Mouse has four and Macs are fully compliant with most multi-button mouses around, just check the box for Mac compatibility.

All the functionality is available from the mouse although I find drag-and-drop in combination with keyboard shortcuts to be far more efficient but your experiences may be different. My point is that you can access all the functionality in any way you like - it's not hidden in contextual menus that can only be accessed by right-clicking although you CAN access it by right-clicking if you so choose.

It's all about choice and OSX offers you such choices as to how you interact with the OS.

17. biggiesmalls macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

When I deleted all the language packs I wasn't using in OS X it freed up around 3 GB of space, while not alot it's not insignificant either.

18. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Do you suggest turn off wifi reception and bluetooth in case I will not use them frequently, in order to save the battery power?

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you are running on battery, yes. Turn them off when you are not using them. You can also lower the screen brightness... the combination of these two things can have a substantial battery life impact. Like 25-30% longer battery time.

20. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I have a win xp pc with an old printer attached to it.
    My new mac and the pc will be in local network.
    Will mac be able to print with this old printer through the pc-win?
    I know about printer sharing but I do not know what happens when a printer is old(no mac os x driver).

21. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

What about user accounts?
    Do I have to create something? I want to have full access and rights without any restrictions.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you have only one account, it should already be an "Administrator" (see System Preferences -> Accounts). You don't have to do anything else. This isn't the greatest way to do things, but it's how it's set up by default. The only real step higher up than an administrator is to run as root and you really don't want to do that.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What sort of printer is it? Most printers can be used in OSX due to the inclusion of a number of Gimp-print drivers that maintain compatibility for old devices.

24. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

An old Hp Deskjet 720. I searched google, I did not find any mac os x support.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's just a USB printer so it should just work when you plug it in.