simple record and turn to mp3 query

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by And, Aug 29, 2011.

1. And
    macrumors 6502

Feb 23, 2009
    92 ft above sea level, UK

Apologies for the low-brow question on this part of forums... I have some cassettes (yes cassettes!) and LPs which I could really do with throwing out. I've bought most of them on CD where possible, but have reached a few which are irreplaceable*

What is my easiest option for turning these recordings into MP3? I have a cassette player with line out, so I'm assuming I could simply plug into linein on mini/mbp and use a program to record, then use the same program (or another) to compress to mp3. I would be doing nothing more complicated than that except perhaps removing button clicks. The LP I realise would probably need to go through a preamp before getting to computer, but process would be same I guess. So the Q is, what programs should I use for this - I have garageband somewhere if that is up to this, or would be looking for a freeware alternative. Expensive software is a little pointless to me as I only have about 2-3 LPs and 2-3 cassettes to process in this way, after which my dalliance with sound editing will be over! **

Cheers, and.

* Actually found one LP I have on CD, but at a cost of £50 ($70?)! So ripping LP would be preferable (Blind Idiot God if anyone happens to remember them).

** Until CDs or MP3s become outdated... :)