Simple Recording...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Capt Underpants, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Okay, guys. I'm a complete newb at this whole recording stuff (I know nothing). Some of my friends have a band, and I've got a mac. What'll they need so that they can record a guitar and voice? Can I do this with garageband? I'm running a 1.33 PB 12".

2. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I hate bumping, but could someone help me out here?

3. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

yes u can record them into garageband , a simple imic wiill work for microphones and guitars . thats really all youll need if they supplly the equpiments as far as vocal mics and insturmental mics

4. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

So they would need more than one microphone, right? There would be one for the guitar, the drums, and vocals, right? How would they connect into my computer when I only have one line in?

5. darthmaximus macrumors newbie

If you have one line in you have two options. First you could record one at a time (have the drummer play, then lay in the guitars and vocals seperatly). However a good drum mix should be more then one mic anyways. Your second option is to get an external board (see if you friends have one) that has a tape output as RCA connectors. If so you can get a generic cable that goes from stereo RCA to 1/8" and go into your line in on your PB. This is what my setup is when I dont use my Pro Tools interface. The only thing to watch out for is if you have the generic RAM that comes with it (256) you wont be able to do too much. 512 is a good base, the mroe the merrier. If I were you I would use an external board with about 8-16 inputs, mix it on that, and dump the stereo mix to your computer, that will not let you edit and put effects on each one, but its better then oen at a time.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You could also try one of those firewire audio boards... they should have lots of inpus and then send it to GB in seperate channels so you can mix them and whatnot...

I know nothing abotu music editing or GB, but just remember reading that Apple is going to be making one of these to go with GB, and that there are others available now.

Rob

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

GB can record only one track at a time, either mono or stereo. so it's useless for multitracking. imo, that's why apple released Logic Express.

in addition to multitrack s/w, you'll need some kind of hardware interface. there are a number of devices that do this (though i'll warn you, you get what you pay for), they'll have mic pre's built-in, maybe some line-level ins, and analog/digital converters.

head over to http://www.osxaudio.com/ for lots more info.