Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I did a quick test on Vimeo. Considering the limitations of QT plugin the script works well with Safari, Firefox and Iron.

Thanks again for your efforts, sebaro.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Since I was able to switch the eMac on, I tried the latest version of the script on PPC. Not only it works well, it is even smoother than on my MBP. With html5 off videos start immediately on all browsers (TenFourFox, Safari 5.0.6, Omniweb). With html5 on only Omniweb is showing some problems (occasional spinning beachballs; sometimes video doesn't load).

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Long time Camino users probably already know about this, but I just found out how useful Geekmonkey can be, so I'm posting this here, since it offers another way to use userscripts (ViewTube in particular).

http://surber.us/2006/04/14/geekmonkey/

It's a bookmarklet capable of transforming userscripts into bookmarklets. Go to the page of the script you want to get. Click on Geekmonkey and you will see the install button change. Drag it to your bookmark bar and you will get a new bookmarklet with the same functionality of the original script.
In this way scripts can be used "on demand", or with browser not supporting Greasemonkey/Greasekit.
I tested it with ViewTube on Stainless (which ordinarily would not support scripts at all). It works really well.

Again, I apologize if this is old news.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Nice

Tried out that geekmonkey thing in Camino and it works, well the low quality mp4 works, nothing else does. I had already installed Johnsons' script you had previously posted about from the tenfourfox forum, and you should be aware that works in Camino as well.

That geekmonkey thing is so damn old (he wrote it back in 2006) I thought hmmm, wonder if this works in Classilla. And amazingly viewtube installs (with scripts turned on) but alas viewtube coughs up a error stating it can't load the player element. As far as I know nothing will play .mp4's on mac os 9, and the only flash for os 9 is flash 7, and homey won't play that. Still, it was worth a shot......

thanks again for all your research into this!

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I had not thought Geekmonkey could work on OS 9. This is really interesting. Unfortunately I have not experience with OS 9, nor the possibility to install it.
Have you tried with a simpler script? Maybe Free Youtube?
What video players do you use on OS 9? Does Classilla play html5 videos?

PS: I found the answer to my last question on Classila FAQ. So is downloading and then converting the only way to play online videos?

Last edited:

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Os 9

As of now, yes. Downloading and converting to an .mov or similarly old file is the only way. Sebastian Patting (lowendmac.com writer) managed to hack flash 7 with good ol resedit to look like flash 9 and that worked for a little while. It screwed up the player window in classilla, but youtube moved on and it no longer works. There was another trick circulating (making it look like embedded video) but for me that no longer works either. Someone was working on a Mactubes like application for OS 9 called macflv, but I think he is a student and not devoting much if any time to it these days.

For youtube lack of any H.264 support in OS 9 would be a major hurdle to overcome, and one Cameron Kaiser is understandably not all that interested in working on. He's talked about some HTML 5 support, but likely that would not extend to video. Kaiser says Classilla 9.3 will be focused on the mobile web, ie pushing users towards mobile sites, which load much faster without all the modern java script and ajax.

I will try to install a simpler script in Classilla, I was pretty amazed it installed at all frankly.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Video in OS 9

I tried to find more info on Google.
It seems someone in Japan has created a Youtube player and a flv player for OS 9 (you will need to translate the page):
http://page.freett.com/macos9/
Additional info here:
http://macos9.exblog.jp/i8
The youtube player has been updated as recently as 27/10/2011.
Another flv player is here:
http://www10.ocn.ne.jp/~i-zac/FLV/FLVPlayerHelper_en.html
Does that work with flash 7?

Apart from that I see there are several sites that can be used to convert flv files into mov or divx. Not much of a consolation, but perhaps a way to save some CPU strain.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I'm having problems with youtube and VLC. If I try to do a copy and paste of the page URL I get a VLC crash. Everything works fine if I copy the actual video URL.
This means the Youtube in VLC script is not working anymore.
I get the same results in Lion, so I think Youtube may have changed something.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Nice finds

Nice finds, I have searched far and wide and found nothing...so far in classic these players do not seem to be able to actually play an flv file, but maybe I am doing something wrong. The support documents are all in Japanese, which shockingly I don't speak. I will continue to investigate. Maybe your buddy Sebraro could figure how to hand off say the small flv file to one of these players. He would get the classic mac hero of the decade for that one. Oops, that's already gone to Kaiser.

Maybe the youtube not working has to do with the whole SOPA thing today. Just a thought.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I looked around the videolan forums. It seems it is something that happens from timt to time. We will have to wait for a patch, or (at least for Leopard users) the release of VLC 2 in the next few days.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
I posted

to the mac os 9 lowendmac group to see if anyone with a bootable os 9 install and or japanese language skills could try those youtube players out. The inability to use flash or youtube is a huge limitation for still using os 9 (that, and even classilla is rapidly getting left in the dust on the internet these days). So hopefully someone can get those working. Even if they only had limited functionality, it would be better than absolutely none. Well, besides the download and convert option.

Youtube periodically changes something that makes mactubes, extensions etc not work. ususally developers fix it in a day or two.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
There is a patch for VLC. It works for me in version 1.1.12 (I don't know if it works for older versions too):
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=97355

Save http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;...9;hb=0137d3be215be27d29224bd04f921e41e9cac145 as youtube.lua (use command-i to check the real name of the file isn't youtube.lua.htm). Then right click on VLC icon and choose show package contents. Open Contents > MacOS > share > lua > playlist. Backup youtube.luac (just in case), then replace it with the file you just saved.
VLC should now be able to open youtube pages again.

sebaro

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Hi,
Can you please test the latest version (2012-01-22) for large/HD videos in QuickTime? I've made some changes to force the video plugin to fit in the player window.
Thanks.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Tested in Safari 5.1.2, SRW Iron, Firefox under OS X 10.7 (intel), and Safari 5.0.6, Tenfourfox, Omniweb, Stainless under OS X 10.5 (PPC).
For use with Stainless ViewTube has been transformed into a bookmarklet using GeekMonkey.
Resizing is absolutely perfect in every browser, with the only exception of Omniweb (same problems seen in past versions of the script). I'm going to install Omniweb in Lion, to see if it works well with a different version of quicktime plugin.

Last edited:

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Ok, in 10.5 I have QT plugin 7.7 , in 10.7 I have QT plugin 7.7.1
Resizing is perfect in Omniweb under Lion (the test was done using ViewTube as a bookmarklet since I don't want to install Greasekit on my laptop).

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
One last thing. In Safari and Omniweb under 10.5 script does not get the thumbnail for youtube videos (unless I disable the script in Greasekit, and use it as a bookmarklet).

Last edited:

sebaro

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks,
About thumbnails issue:
It's only for youtube videos? Does the script show the message that it couldn't find the thumbnail? It does the same with NinjaKit?
Thanks again for your help.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
This happens in 10.5, with Greasekit and Ninjakit, for youtube videos only. The script always shows the correct message.
This behaviour is inconsistent. For the same video sometimes the thumbnail is shown, sometimes not.

May I express a request? :)
I was wondering if it would be difficult to add an option to load videos in an external player. That's because on PPC Macs Quicktime plugin doesn't offer the option to watch videos in full screen. Quicktime Player would be good, but having the possibility to choose a different (and more efficient) player would be even better.
Of course this can already be done by copying and pasting the download link, but with a built-in option it would be even smoother.

I thank you again for your work.

sebaro

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
This happens in 10.5, with Greasekit and Ninjakit, for youtube videos only. The script always shows the correct message.
This behaviour is inconsistent. For the same video sometimes the thumbnail is shown, sometimes not.
In the next version I'll add a second source for the video thumbnail if the first is not found.
May I express a request? :)
I was wondering if it would be difficult to add an option to load videos in an external player. That's because on PPC Macs Quicktime plugin doesn't offer the option to watch videos in full screen. Quicktime Player would be good, but having the possibility to choose a different (and more efficient) player would be even better.
Of course this can already be done by copying and pasting the download link, but with a built-in option it would be even smoother.
From the script I can't control the video player/plugin. But you can do the following from the download window :
- left click the video link, this should open the video in the current tab/window with the qt video plugin;
- right click the video link and "Open in New Tab/Window", this plays the video with qt plugin in the new tab/window;
- right click the link and "Open/Open with" and select the video player.

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
In the next version I'll add a second source for the video thumbnail if the first is not found.

From the script I can't control the video player/plugin. But you can do the following from the download window :
- left click the video link, this should open the video in the current tab/window with the qt video plugin;
- right click the video link and "Open in New Tab/Window", this plays the video with qt plugin in the new tab/window;
- right click the link and "Open/Open with" and select the video player.

Thank you anyway:)
What I'm actually doing is accessing and copying the download link, then I use one of the script in my first post to open the video in an external player. It works very well to open HD videos in Coreplayer (one of the few ways to watch online HD clips on my aging eMac).

....figured the Japanese flv players out.

http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/2012/01/viewing-youtube-in-mac-os-9.html

Thanks for finding this, I credited you for the find of course.

One nail, ever so slightly, out of the coffin of OS 9.

Man, I'm so happy this worked out! :)
By the way, all those methods revolved around using the JW player. I'm wondering if using one of these scripts through Geekmonkey would work too:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/95072 (Youtube)
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/93984 (TED)
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/69301 (Megavideo) (edit: I just noticed megavideo is down)
If you search "JW player" on userscripts.org you will find more, but these seem to be the more recent ones.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Not only that...

BTW, the Luddite also determined that mobile youtube works with the Japanese method as well, ie, JW player can actually handle 3Gp files, something nothing else on OS 9 can do. The Mac OS 9 community owes you bigtime !

I don't have a OS 9 bootable mac anymore, my ibook G3 bit the dust (video issue) I managed to recycle the screen and drive into my current ibook G4. I seriously thinking of getting an old ibook, maybe a fast G3 so I can play around with this! If I do, I will check out those bookmarklets.

sebaro

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Hi,
The new version (01.27) adds a second source for the video thumbnail in youtube and a pseudo fullscreen feature (youtube and dailymotion for now).

B-G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Tested in:
10.7 - Safari 5.1.2 (ninjakit), SRW Iron, Firefox, Omniweb (Geekmonkey)
10.5 - Safari 5.0.6 (greasekit and ninjakit), Tenfourfox, Stainless (Geekmonkey), Omniweb (greasekit)

Fantastic work! Everything works fine.
The only problems are in Omniweb. With html5 on video doesn't load (with the exception of funnyordie and LD youtube videos), and on 10.5 there are still problems with resizing.

I really like the full window mode, especially with html5 on (so that aspect ratio is preserved) and in browsers supporting full screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.