Simple WINDOWS question...

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikebatho, Aug 10, 2005.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Where's the thing in internet options on PC that says

"Automatically disconnect from internet when inactive for___minutes"

....it'll then have a little box where you can change the number of minutes.

Something along those lines....

My mate's tinternet keeps disconnecting when she goes to make a brew, and I've not been on a PC in a couple of years...! Ha........

2. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

I don't have that...What ISP does he/she have?

3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I have never heard of an option for this, nor had this problem. :confused:

4. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Me neither.
    My internet is...well, supposedly, always on. It's only on like 55% of the time though. Always goes off at 12:00 AM for 10 minutes at least, every day. :rolleyes:

5. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, maybe I'm mistaken then, it has been a while....

I just seemed to remember that with dialup, there was a setting where if the machine was left idle for so long, the internet would disconnect.

Incase you forgot & went to bed & left it on, cos you'd then be paying for it all night....

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's definitely an option, but don't ask me where it is (I haven't used dialup since 2001) :eek:

But, if I had to guess, look in Dialup Networking.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do people still dial up??

Could be in the ISP software. Is it AOL or something else?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

8. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't think it would be in the ISP software...

I was sure it was in either INTERNET OPTIONS or control panels....

Grrrrrrrr!! Frustration!!! :mad:

9. Pyrus macrumors member

Looking under the properties for my ADSL connecton there is an option saying,
    "Idle time before hanging up:" then give a list of durations. There could be a similar thing under a dial-up.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This is all from long ago memory but I think it might be under Dial-up Networking which is somewhere in Accessories - Communications?

Then you have to right click and go to Properties and it's somewhere in one of those tabs or under the advanced buttons.

Incidentally, my aunt's Win 98 PC kept doing this even though that box wasn't checked. Turned out to be some malware which was shutting down that connection and trying to use a rogue dialler... :(

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

mikebatho, you're asking a question about PCs and dial up on an internet forum (geeky) for Macs... :D

Has your friend tried going through the connection's properties? This is down from "My Network Connections" from memory. Oh, it is XP, right?

Good luck with finding the answer. :)

Edit: yeah, what Applespider said. :D

12. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

it's there. it's just that what you are looking for is a DIAL-UP feature, so if you don't have a dial-up connection, you will not neither find it nor need it.

but for what it's worth, go to internet properties -> connection -> configure your dial-up connection settings -> next to user name there's a properties button -> the options tab is what you're looking for.

god, i'm glad windows is so easy to use... (end sarcasm here)

13. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm aware that I'm on a mac furum, thank you.

This is the community discussion board, and besides, there are always any number of discussions featuring Windows related stuff right across these forums.

I think my point is illustrated by the number of helpful members of this COMMUNITY that stepped forward to help answer my question (thanks guys).

Windows exists. Many people are forced or choose to use it occasionally, as I have in the past. Even Mac users. So forgive me if I thought this would be the ideal place to ask for advice.... :) :) :) :)

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We're just playing with you mikebatho since most of the members would probably have broadband and Macs. :D

No hard feelings.

So, is it XP?

15. dcv macrumors G3

You should find it as an option in the dial-up networking connection properties as Applespider pointed out. You can also get to this from the Internet Options dialog (long-winded way though)...off the top of my head I think you go to the Connections tab then there is a Settings button next to the dial-up connections box i think and about another million clicks later you should find the 'disconnect if idle for x mins' setting. I know it's definitely there as I've just given my mum my old desktop pc and she's using dial-up for now!

I think there is also a separate setting (or a similar setting) in outlook/outlook express. I know for example that you can get it to hang up the connection after doing a send & receive, so might be worth checking the 'tools-options' out too in case that's where the problem lies.

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Of course, if the ISP auto-disconnects you for inactivity, this doesn't help. And some ISPs will do that. What error message do you see when it disconnects, if any?