Simple Wireless Printer Solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SJK123, Jun 15, 2006.

1. SJK123 macrumors member

I have an HP inkjet printer (I forgot which model) that is in pretty good shape. I also have a new iMac. I would like to set it up for wireless printing. Would a bluetooth adaptor be the easiest way to go? Do they work pretty well from across the room? Or, should I try to put it on my internet wireless network via my Netgear wireless router and a wireless network adaptor? If none of the above are good solutions, I guess I could buy a new wireless printer-but wouldn’t that put me in the same boat as the adaptors? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

a wireless print server is what springs to mind , unless you have one of them fancy printers that do BT , if USB connection why not use the Airport Express ?

used this before with no problems

3. SJK123 thread starter macrumors member

What is airport express? Can I hook it to my printer and then will it connect wirelessly to the mac?

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

job done:D

5. SJK123 thread starter macrumors member

Not quite. Would I be better off with airport express or a wireless print server from netgear? My wireless router is a netgear. My problem is that it will be housed in a cabinet below the printer and I would like it to be able to pick up a sgnal. Is AE as strong as a wireless print server? Any compatibility issues with Macs?

6. starnox macrumors 6502

AE is made by apple for macs, so no compatibility issues ;)

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Airport Express is a good solution.

It's also a more expensive solution. Choose your poison. =)

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have an Airport Express in our kitchen (middle floor of 3-floor townhouse), with an HP 5150 inkjet connected to it. I print to it from my PowerBook from anywhere in the house, as does my wife from her XP Pro Vaio laptop. The only issues I have ever noticed:

The Vaio sometimes loses connection, and only a reboot of the AExpress and printer restores the connection. The PB can ALWAYS still connect to the printer, and rebooting the Vaio has no effect on fixing the connection.:confused:

Larger images do not always print completely. By larger, I mean size of file, not size of picture. I don't know if this is a printer memory problem, or a failing in Bonjour.