Simplest way to add wifi to my 2008 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ventro, Jan 15, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2008 Mac pro and it doesn't have Wifi.

What's the simplest way to add wifi to it? This looks like it will work, but looks difficult to install.

Any other ideas?

2. macrumors newbie

simplest would be a usb wifi adapter but wouldn't be very integrated...

3. macrumors 6502a

Its either that or finding a USB dongle that will work on OSX, I don't know of another way.

4. macrumors 601

ActionableMango

5. macrumors 6502a

Another option would be an external wireless bridge that you connect via the ethernet port. I have one that I connect my Blu Ray player and network printer to. I used to have a PC attached to it before I bought my Mac Pro.

6. macrumors 603

Ask the network forum whether you can attach an Airport Express to your MP (via ethernet) and then use the AE as a bridge to your WiFi.

I haven't looked it up, but if I was considering a USB/ethernet dongle solution I would I would confirm that the USB speed wouldn't throttle the throughput. Like I said, I have no idea what the relative speeds are between USB and WiFi.... but I would look at them incase there is a surprise.

7. macrumors Core

alphaod

That's the wrong product for starters.

What you want is this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682954-REG/Apple_MB988Z_A_AirPort_Extreme_Card_for.html

Installation is very easy. It's located under the first two HDD bays (if you have drives installed in them).

Simply lay your computer down, remove the first two drives, and you'll see the card slot and antennae just hanging there disconnected; just slide in the card, screw it in with the included screws, attach antennae; it should work immediately.

8. macrumors member

Right this moment, I have an Airport Express connected via ethernet cable to my 2009 MacPro. The AE is linked wirelessly to my main router. I suspect it's not quite as fast as a direct link, but it works great otherwise.

Nevertheless, I want the real deal. But that B&H link, above, is so much cheaper than the Airport card I found on macpartsonline.com.... thanks!

9. ColdCase, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

macrumors 68020

10. macrumors 68030

SDAVE

This is the best option and it's not that hard to install these.

There are plenty of guides online, plus, you will get integrated WiFI and gain a USB port by not using a USB wifi dongle.

11. macrumors 6502a

karsten

i had an issue installing a wifi card to my 2008 MP in that it was a 2006 specific model wifi card, it ended up showing up as a 'bluetooth PAN' device in networking preferences. however, the wifi icon in the menubar allowed me to select the network and connect successfully. see if you can find a 2008 model wifi card specifically, might be hard though

12. macrumors 6502a

Engenius had a good USB nic that works well with OSX.

13. macrumors 68040

Giuly

14. macrumors 68000

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors 68020

kellen

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

The card you're referring to as 'a knockoff or something' is in LA, and has a full description of the cards's capabalities. The Amazon listing has 3CLeader as the supplier, based in Hong Kong, with a stock generic image in the description.

Your choice.