Simplified Chinese

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nnick, Jun 4, 2006.

1. nnick macrumors regular

nnick

Is there a plugin for Simplified Chinese Pinyin? I can only find traditional Pinyin in OS X

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

[EDIT] I was a little confused about your question. I didn't remove my post. It likely won't give you any further help. I thought that Pinyin was already a simplified input method. Jump to the bottem and look at the Yale documents.

This document is about the Input Method Plug In Converter. It states that the plug in should be here /Library/Application Support/Apple/Chinese Input Method Plugin. If not, somebody has already created one. Perhaps contacting the documents author or googleing it.

Finder-->Menubar->Input Method>Open International

Scroll down and you will see the following listings:

Simplified Chinese
    • ITACB
    • Wubi Xing
    • Wubi Hua

Traditional Chinese
    • Hanin
    • Cangjie
    • Jianyi
    • Dayi(Pro)
    • Pinyin

Does this help? If you ran a program called Delocalizer, some language sets and info may be gone. You can reinstall them from the OSX install disk.

My info may be bad, as I have a large set of specialized dictionaries installed that run through this menubar item.

This company makes alternate keying systems for languages. They have an OS X product for Pinyin.

This Yale document explaines using the input method in OS X for Traditional and Pinyin. Hope this helps.

3. nnick thread starter macrumors regular

nnick

Thank you for your reply. I am looking for Pinyin for simplified Chinese but OS 10 only has Pinyin for Traditional Chinese. Pinyin is a way to type Chinese characters from their English counter parts. If anyone knows of a plugin I could download that would be a HUGE help.

Thank you very much in advance!

4. 604macguy macrumors newbie

5. ma54tale macrumors newbie

I seem to have the same problem. I go to Pages, services and try to choose "Simplified Chinese". The program does not allow me to do this, and consequently I only can type in traditional characters. The problem is, I cannot read them:)

In the keyboard input menu, under "Show International" the simplified characters are shown, but I cannot activate them. What can I do? Buy Snow Leopard?

I managed to change the Input Method to simplified characters, but then I do not have the option of using Pinyin anymore!!!

I was a bit too quick to draw conclusions. The Pinyin is found under ITABC. Thanks for your help, everybody, I'll start typing Chinese now:)