Simplify Media Yanks iPhone Apps, Changing Focus

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simplify Media late last week announced that it is moving in a "new direction" and will no longer be offering its popular iPhone applications that allowed users to stream their iTunes music libraries to their iPhones and iPod touches via Wi-Fi, 3G, and EDGE.
    Simplify notes that it will continue to operate its service for existing users for at least the next three months, but makes no promises beyond that timeframe.

Article Link: Simplify Media Yanks iPhone Apps, Changing Focus

2. macrumors 6502a

3 months, huh? Developed the technology only to completely drop it?

3 months puts us to mid-June, about when new iPhone software is usually released. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple bought the technology (or the company) and is incorporating it into iPhone 4.0, perhaps with ties to MobileMe and that big data center of theirs.

3. macrumors 603

roland.g

It's one thing to stop development, continue offering it through the store and scale back support.

But to discontinue, yank, and tell existing users that within 3 months they may not get any continued support or even use!, sorry but that is one way to ensure that when you do bring anything new to the marketplace, whatever marketplace it is, it will be met by hesitation over the fact that you are a sketchy company that may or may not stand behind anything. Poor business model.

4. macrumors member

Given that apple NEVER comments on acquisitions and that they (simplify) even posted anything about the future on the blogs indicates that this is unlikely an Apple purchase, but it's of course possible. (more likely would be Google, in all honesty) My take on it (see more here: http://ootunes.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-happened-to-simplify-media-for.html ) is that they simply didn't have money to keep up with all the streaming since they used a proxy to get around firewalls, etc. (hence the simple setup compared to my own product which is peer to peer). Their iPhone apps had both dropped well below the top 25 paid music apps for months and months now (yes, I track this like a daytrader... as I used to view them as my primary competitor). I think it will be very sad though unless they come out with something similar in the Summer, they had a great product with an unbeatable price (possibly too unbeatable!)

5. macrumors member

There's always ooTunes, but I'm sad that I didn't hear about Simplify Media before now. Has anybody used both who can comment on their relative merits?

6. macrumors 6502a

This is all speculation, but what you say suggests Apple may have bought just the technology.

How would Simplify act if Apple had? Apple being Apple, they wouldn't tell Simplify about their plans for the tech, but probably put a phase-out period in the contract (3 months).

So, Apple buys their tech, but Simplify doesn't know what Apple intends to do with, or when. All they know is they have to shut down the service in three months, so they announce that.

As you rightly note, Apple wouldn't comment on any acquisition publicly.

I'm just saying it's plausible, but we don't really have any evidence in either direction.

7. macrumors 68040

macduke

Mysteriously changing focus, can't comment on future direction, apps disappearing from app store, dropping support in time for OS 4.0?

Apple bought them. Probably for DIRT cheap.

But why would Apple build this into their software? I thought they made a ton of money off inflated memory prices. People need more memory without this product. So either they bought them to stifle competition, or they will add it to MobileMe to make it seem more valuable and attractive to new customers.

8. macrumors 6502a

I really hate to see SimplifyMedia shut down. I used this regularly on my macs and iPhone. I also liked that I could stream my friends' music collections with no trouble. I guess I'll be making the switch to Orb.

9. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While there is no evidence to support this it certainly sounds this way. However, if they were to want to stifle competition then why allow the app ever?

10. macrumors member

theloon

Money back please

Having just bought the iPhone app, so I would like a refund. I wonder how iTunes addresses this In Europe, for example, the App store is classed as a point of sale therefore Apple is responsible for refunds for issues like these.

Ummmm, I wonder...

11. macrumors regular

Wtf

Well I really really like this app and hate to see it go away. I think this is BS and I would like my money back being a supporter of version 1 and 2 I'm feeling the screwing.

12. macrumors newbie

I use this app all of the time and I'll be sad to see it go. I leave my MBP upstairs and I drop my iPhone onto the Sound Dock. I've loved having my complete library on my iPhone whenever I have a signal.

But, because of this app, I haven't had to upgrade from my 8GB iPhone. I don't need to fill up the space with songs.

13. macrumors 6502

It's been reported alot that apple is launching a streaming service similar to simplify media. I presume Simplifiy Media are aware of this. Apple might have paid them a fee so there are no patent infringements? Whatever happens we will get this service back officially from Apple with iphone 4.

14. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

As someone who recently started using this service, I am disappointed. I guess I will just try to get as much value as I can out of it for the next 3 months. The killer feature to me was being able to listen to my friends libraries. I am not even sure there is another way to do that on both the iPhone and Mac.

15. macrumors member

Lala

Apple bought Lala a while back, which may allow you to do things quite similar to what Simplify does...maybe better. An App has not been released, but their site allows you to 'upload' your iTunes library, from which you can stream music online instead of storing them on your iPhone. You can't currently stream to an iPhone, but that is probably not too far away. I'd assume Simplify simply saw the writing on the wall.

www.lala.com

Peace be with you.

16. macrumors 6502a

I've found the Simplify iPhone apps to be incredibly slow. And their customer service has been pretty terrible too. I have actually told a couple friends to NOT purchase their app, I had such a poor experience with it.

17. macrumors member

I caught wind of this last night and was still able to sign up for a new account (around 5am).

18. macrumors 6502a

optophobia

this was one of the first apps I got (when it was free), so it was good while it lasted.

Anyway, just checked, and you can still set up a new account

19. macrumors 6502a

As someone who has bought Simplify Media 1 and 2 and then Simplify Photo for the iPhone I am disappointed. I considered this a page one app too.

20. macrumors regular

This is by far the worst news that I've read all day. Not only did this app charge the existing users to upgrade from version 1 to version 2, but now they are cancelling the service in 3 months? It is rather upsetting since I use this app extensively for my music. At least they pulled the app from the App Store, which is more than I'd say for most developers.

It makes business sense that Apple would buy Simplify Media's service. Apple's product line price points are based upon storage capacity. As one member commented above me, he's not had to upgrade his 8GB phone because of apps like this. For that exact same reason, I did not update to the new iPod Touch 3G this year. Apple would much rather that consumer buy the newly released hardware each year. When you start offering apps that require your devices to have a very minimal amount of storage capacity, it defeats the purpose of charging more money for more memory storage. I really don't think Apple is intending to offer a streaming service (without charging a membership fee/monthly fee)...they just want to stop these type of apps from reducing their profits on hardware sales. Apple makes much more off of selling 1 iPhone than they do from selling apps. That's just my 2 cents...

21. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Contact Apple. Refunds for App Store purchases are possible.

22. macrumors regular

Home Sharing on iTunes 9... It's gonna come soon by default for 4.0. Simple as that.

23. macrumors newbie

No doubt...glad I dropped $8 on that App...Thanks Simplify Media, Thanks!:confused:

24. macrumors 6502a

Yeah really the only reason that makes sense is that Simplify is either aware of, or going to be part of something that Apple announces in 3 months. Either way, it's a really good bet that 4.0 is going to have some way to stream your entire library over the web.

25. macrumors regular

How do you upload your itunes library to lala? Poking around the site now and can't find it.