Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actingbiz1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Behind You...
I would like the ability to manage some features to be managed using the simple System Preferences utility for features such as web sharing, but the advanced Server Admin utility for FTP, DNS, etc.
Is there any way I can do that? Because when I try to enable web on the Server Admin utility (Advanced) I get errors, and I don't really know all of it. I would like the simplicity of the system preferences.
Do I HAVE to re-install OSX leopard and start all over?
And is there anyway to completely RESET all the server attributes for a service?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
If your server is currently set up as an Advanced server, then yes - you will need to reinstall to achieve what you wish to do. That said, it is possible. You'll get a warning from Server Admin that it's not meant to be used for this kind of server when you start it. Don't convert to advanced - just check don't show this again and dismiss it. You can use it to configure stuff that Server Preferences doesn't give you access to.

actingbiz1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Behind You...
So, i do a clean install. Click simple setup
Then I get the system preferences for the server?
And I can use all the functionality of Server Admin, XGrid Admin, Workgroup Manager, etc.? No limits, just that window that pops up saying You're not supposed to do this?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
So, i do a clean install. Click simple setup
Then I get the system preferences for the server?
And I can use all the functionality of Server Admin, XGrid Admin, Workgroup Manager, etc.? No limits, just that window that pops up saying You're not supposed to do this?
Yes, that's correct.

actingbiz1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Behind You...
Now i'm having issues.... again....
The very second i set up my server (connected via ethernet) i could enable web service (simple admin utility) and access it via an dyndns domain that i got.
Now, once i allowed access for me to use the advanced admin, and connect via wireless (wireless and ethernet ip, dns, proxy, etc. settings are exactly the same.) Now, the site resolves to server.local not whatever.dyndns.com
The simple admin utility says my DNS name is Server.local. How do I change that to my FQDN?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Now i'm having issues.... again....
The very second i set up my server (connected via ethernet) i could enable web service (simple admin utility) and access it via an dyndns domain that i got.
Now, once i allowed access for me to use the advanced admin, and connect via wireless (wireless and ethernet ip, dns, proxy, etc. settings are exactly the same.) Now, the site resolves to server.local not whatever.dyndns.com
The simple admin utility says my DNS name is Server.local. How do I change that to my FQDN?
You probably accidentally reverted your server's DNS name in Server Admin. Just go back in there, click Web, and set the domain name back to what it should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.