Simpsons Movie

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by natehan, Feb 3, 2006.

1. natehan macrumors member

natehan

Anyone hear about the Simpsons Movie that is going to be released in 2008? I think this is one of the signs that the 17 year run is finally going down hill. Or maybe they are just being threatened by the ever growing popularity of Family Guy.

2. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I knew they were working on one. Family guy the movie was crap! (IMO), but season 4 is very good. Has it been going for 17 years! hehe Time flies.

3. thomasp macrumors 6502a

4. Redline13 macrumors 6502

The last couple of years of The Simpsons has had it's series of ups and downs but it's still better then most other shows on tv. The problem is that the older classic episodes are in syndication and play all the time so the newer episodes don't compare well. I find Family Guy funny but it's very derivative of The Simpsons. I think a Simpsons movie would be fun.

5. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

If they do release a film I, for one, am expecting it to be awful - like most of the new episodes. Anyone remember the 138th Episode Spectacular?:

Troy McClure: "Who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?"

And that's the only reason it's still going. It's sad that the best TV show ever made has come to this. Sad, but inevitable.

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

If you listen the the audio commentary on the 7th season DVD they talk about the simpsons movie and how they are working in it. That means all the brilliant writers and directions from the awsome 1-8 seasons will be in charge, not the less than optimal staff of recent years. I fully believe it will be the simpsons last harrah, it will be in theaters the summer after the show goes off the air.

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I thought That the simpsons season 7 has only come out onto DVD which would mean that the people talking on the DVD may be working on the movie now. I funny thought though.... The first half of the film is great. The second half written recently is rubbish!!! that would be funny to see

8. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Yeah, great! Thanks for letting me know!

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

lets see, over 4 years to release only 7 seasons of a currently

season show.

IMO they are friggen lazy. Taking all this time to just produce a DVD, the only time consumption and bottleneck being the COMMENTARY recordings!!!!

We can get every damn Friends episode out one after the other but GOD FORBID we get simpsons releases once or even twice a year.

OH and did you notice they put out "holiday" themed DVDs packed with like 4 episodes spanning the whole 17 seasons? Who the hell is gonna buy those stupid things? WHY EVEN MAKE THEM!?

I am so pissed the Simpsons takes so long to get DVDs released, in one of the brochure inserts Matt Groening even talks about it taking too long to produce DVDs cuz they are lazy.

Total crap IMO, crap TV shows get mass DVD releases, and the Simpsons has at least 8 more to go.

By the time they hit season 17 there will be a new format and they will have to re-release everything on DVD up to that point.

10. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

We do get simpsons dvd sets twice a year. Last year it was six and seven.

And to compare the mindless ripoff drivel of family guy to the comedy genius of the simpsons is a bad joke..

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Simpsons needs to be taken out to pasture and shot. I watched Simpsons from the start, beginning with the first airing ever of the first episode ever, and it is a shadow of its former self - anyone who thinks the current seasons are good have obviously not seen the older episodes. Seasons 2-7 were the best in terms of writing, creativity and humor, and now the show has just become a shallow pardoy of itself, and is old and tired. They've even tried copying Family Guy's style of humor (unsuccessfully) at times to try and save face, but to no avail.

Simpsons used to be my favorite TV show of all time. I worshipped it. Not anymore, now that they've ruined the franchise the past several seasons. As Qoxiivi said, it's sad that what was once the best TV show bar none has come to this.

12. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Trouble is, Fox get about $2Bn (yes, billion) from each episode (yes, episode, not series) once it has been sold around the world.

No wonder they're not keep to axe The Simpsons yet...

In my opinion, the movie should be the final thing they do. Once the movie's been released, no more TV shows. Or, if they're doing a Trilogy movie, once the final part has been released, the TV series should end.

Edit:

Also, isn't it Fox who are responsible for getting the DVD's out, not The Simpsons producers - they just record the audio commentary, etc.

13. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

They have sped up the release process, but keep in mind they do commentary on EVERY episode, with like 3-5 people on each commentary, which is huge. Also they usually have a decent ammount of goodies, and they are remasted in DD5.1 and cleaned up a bit. Really, they are worth the wait, I watch all the episode commentary, it's great.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have heard that the movie will be the end of the series. Groening wants the movie to be like a grand finally for the show. Unlike the Family Guy movie that was just 3 episodes spliced together The Simpsons movie will be written from scratch.

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't know if I'd use the word "grand", but thank God it will finally be over. :rolleyes:

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Hey its still better then a lot of the stuff on TV, granted its been on maybe too long but you will never see a show like it ever succeed the way The Simpsons has. Plus the fact that it happened on Fox a network that likes to pull the plug on a show after 1 airing.:rolleyes:

17. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

No way has the show been on too long. For a TV show to remain consistently funny and engaging for 17 years is a feat no other TV show has accomplished. To compare later seasons with the first 8 is ludacris, in my opinion. it's natural that the show will gain momentum after the first season and really peak 8 or 10 years down the road. I unfortuantely don't get to watch the new episodes as religiously as I would like, but the ones I do see are very good and very entertaining. I will be sad to see it finish when it does, but I guess all good things must come to an end. Saving the movie until the very end is a brilliant idea, because it will be a GRAND finale, no matter what anyone says. The Simpsons is, always has been, and always will be, the greatest show on television.

18. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

That's because SIMPSONS DID IT!! :D

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think Groening will be happy to be finally writing a finale.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But Simpsons right now isn't funny at all.

In the early and middle seasons, the Simpsons used to get a lot of credit for pointing out the absurdities of society. After all, it's easier to exaggerate these absurdities in cartoon format. It was aimed at kids and adults.

Now Simpsons is just stupid. I haven't seen a recent new episode, but I did see one last year, and I did see several from 2 years ago, and they were all bad.

At least Family Guy is shocking sometimes.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Agreed whole heartedly. The show used to be smart, witty and teeming w/satire. Now it's just completely played out, sophomoric fart jokes. Even the producers have admitted they are just riding the gravy train and aren't trying to make great, edgy episodes anymore. A few years ago Groening himself said he wished Fox would just let the series die.

Lethal

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Glad I'm not the only one... ;) :cool:

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The simpsons suck it got boring after the six or seven season...boring!

Bless

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, that's about when I would peg the start of its decline as well - around Season 7. I remember at the time thinking Season 7 and 8 were pretty bad, compared to previous seasons, but then compared to what followed, they ended up being pretty good all things consdiered. ;)

25. Melkor macrumors 6502

The Simpsons went to crap as soon as Matt Groening left to do Futurama.