Sims 2 BootCamp vs. Sims 2 OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by Zephyrr, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Zephyrr macrumors newbie

Just a quick dumb question. I want to buy The Sims 2 to play on my Macbook (black, 2 ghz, 1 gig ram, if you need to know), and I was wondering whether I'd get better performance with the Windows version playing on Bootcamp or the Mac version on OSX.

Which one would you guys recommend I'd buy for better performance?

2. applekid macrumors 68020

It's probably almost irrelevant which OS you choose, but I'd assume The Sims 2 is cheaper on the PC than the Mac. Granted, the Mac game developers would appreciate your support... This isn't a FPS shooter so I doubt any benefits in running in XP, if any at all, would help.

The only problem I have with the Mac version of The Sims 2 is the lack of a Universal Binary for the Body Shop app.

3. SilversunStreak macrumors member

SilversunStreak

On the windows version you can use anti-aliasing. That option isn't available on the mac version. Really makes me angry considering how much better the game looks with it on, and all the shots used to advertise the game for mac are from the windows version.:mad:

4. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sims 2 on my 24" iMac was rather sluggish, with the settings on mostly high.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

For whatever reason, The Sims 2 is one of those games that seems to perform well at higher settings and running at the highest resolution. I think it's 1280 x 1024 on my MBP and with everything turned up. As soon as I turned down the resolution, things got sluggish.

6. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I had it all on maximum and gradually scaled it down to find the sweet spot but got bored of that.

Now I just play The Sims 1 with all the expansion packs on Windows in Bootcamp.

Last time I checked in the Apple Store, they wanted £45 for an incomplete mega pack of Sims 1 which does not have a Universal Binary...teehee.

Ah, they now have the full pack for only £40. Still PPC though.

7. sopp macrumors newbie

sims suck.. I have tried to play them on my powerbook g4 1.5ghz 1gb ram 64vram, but they were so damn slow I coulnt play any longer..

8. lokibleu macrumors newbie

I admit it, I'm a Sims 2 junkie... that said, I use boot camp for my addiction, mainly for two reasons. The Mac versions always come out later and aren't universal... plus some of the extra packs (ie. Holiday Pack, Glamour Life, Family Fun) are not available for the Mac. Same is true for some of the hacks and mods available.

In fact, the only thing I do in boot camp windows is play Sims. Now if they would just make boot camp windows possible form an external hard drive, I'd be in heaven! Having my Sims when I want it, without eating up my MBPs hard drive space. I had to move my iTunes to an external as it is, though that does give the added benefit of getting to play my itunes on the windows side with Sims muted.

Good Luck in deciding!