sims 2 for mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by greensuperman32, Mar 28, 2005.

1. greensuperman32 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if The Sims 2 mac version will run well on a 15 inch powerbook with a 1.5 Ghz processor, 512 ram, and radeon 9700 64MB graphics card?
    Thanx

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

According to Aspyr, the minimum requirements are...

• OS 10.3.4
    • 1Ghz G4
    • 256MB RAM
    • 4.2GB hard disk space
    • Radeon 8500
    • 32MB video memory
    • DVD Drive

... so it should run fine on your set up.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wouldn't put too much stock into the minimum specs, since the game is still in beta and the specs are subject to change as the game gets closer to release (supposedly in June). There's a lot of beta testing still to be done.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

i wonder if it will be released before the 3rd PC expansion pack is out?

*sigh*

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I imagine this game to be another significant source of revenue for Aspyr, so I'm sure they'd want to do the best possible job on porting it for the Mac.

7. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

hopefully it is like the original sims where you can buy the mac original and use pc expansions instead of waiting for aspyr to port them

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well at BestBuy last time i checked this expansion said Windows PC or something like that... the PC logo, not mac logo

9. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

yeah the 1st sims expans just had pc but you could use vpc or something to install them then place the textures and other stuf like that in the appropriate places in the mac one and it worked same with neverwinternights and a few other games
    it just depends on how the port is

10. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

It should do just fine. My wife was running it on a P3 1.2 Ghz, 512MB, Geforce3Ti 64MB. It was at 1024x768 with somewhat low graphics settings, but it still looked great!

I know it's not an exact comparison, but if the port is done well, you should be able to run better than that P3 with higher settings.

11. travvy49423 macrumors newbie

Ummmm... no.

What? No, dude, you could NEVER use the PC expansions for the Mac version. they, like other programs, are compiled for a specific OS and chip. Binaries for x86 chips make PPC chips go "huh?" and vice versa. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

12. applekid macrumors 68020

Game data files are usually never platform-specific. So, it doesn't matter what OS you're using for those cases.

However, I never heard of any successes getting The Sims PC expansions installed on the Mac even through VPC or other techniques. Besides, buying a PC copy does not contribute to Mac game porting.

If you're interested in The Sims 2 development, head on over to InsideMacGames.com and check the Developer Journal's section. There's a few posts of The Sims 2.

Once the expansions begin ported, we'll be only steps behind the PC counterpart. They caught up quickly with The Sims.

13. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Never say never. :) There are many people (like myself) who use the Island Thunder PC expansion to Ghost Recon on the Mac version of the game. You can literally copy it from a PC and put it in the Mac game and off you go. (Though changing the audio files format makes it perfect.)

Im not sure if this is possible with The Sims, but it is with certain other titles.

14. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I hope it won't run on my G4 700 when it gets released, in which case I might loose my life.. :(

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think it'll run too well.. the current minimum specs are for G4 1GHz. Naturally those are subject to change.