Sims 2 Lagging HORRIBLY

Discussion in 'Games' started by LtothedeSauce, Jul 13, 2006.

1. LtothedeSauce macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Hi, I have the new Macbook, 2.0 GHz, 100 GB Hard drive, etc etc...very nice computer, and I'm incredibly happy I went mac. However, I've installed Sims 2, Sims 2 University, and Sims 2 Nightlife, and have yet to play without the game lagging horribly...everything goes so slow, it has become a chore to play. I don't have this problem with any other applications. I've turned the shadows, reflections on low, and it won't let me change the refresh rate (it's set on default and there are no other options or ways to change it). Any suggestions?? Anyone else going through this????
  2. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    If the original Sims is any indication, expansion packs drag the whole game down.

If you installed like two or more expansion packs with the original Sims, it would get to a point where it was unplayable. I don't if it happened on PowerMac G5's and higher-end gaming PCs, but I had issues on a PowerMac G4 1.25 GHz Dual Processor and a AMD AthlonXP 2200+ (OC'd, don't remember to what) with the original Sims and its expansions.

I suggest doing a clean install of The Sims 2, play it for a while, and install an expansion and play it, and keep doing that and see what happens. Ultimately, you might have to decide between installing one expansion over the other.

Which reminds me... I need to go and buy it sometime :) I would like to try it on my mid-range MacBook Pro. It's surprising how much better gaming is on with my MBP with its 2.16 GHz CPU, 1 GB of RAM and 256 MB VRAM on the X1600 compared to my iMac Core Duo with its 1.83 GHz CPU, 512 MB of RAM, and 128 MB VRAM. It could very well be possible its the amount of RAM, not to say I'm jumping to that conclusion, but it seems possible with my experience.