Sims 2 on Mac - How good is it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by powerbook911, Jul 19, 2005.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I rarely ever play a game. However, I thought I might be interested in buying Sims 2. I've never played the Sims, but the idea of the game seems to suit me more than any other game out there. It sounds fun.

Recommend it?

Finally, on Sims 2, is that a game that takes up the entire screen when you play? I'd love to be able to keep an eye on my mail.app, when I'm playing, but games normally don't operate in windows, do they? Sorry, I'm a real game novice. I know trivial games will sometimes, but high-end intensive games like Sims 2 normally take over, don't they? Thanks for the help.

2. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I was a fan of number 1 so i just bought sims 2 about 1 hour ago and I really dig it...ALTHOUGH...you want to make sure you have better than the system requirements because its a farily high requirement game...(see sig for my gear) it works great on mine! Plus its a fun game

3. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks wrxguy.

I guess I'll pick it up. Yes, he system requirements are rather tough, and my Powerbook is not up to the level of yours, but I'm hoping it will suffice to some degree.

4. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Sims 2 crashes quite a bit, I dont know if its because of Tiger or what but the game seem to crash on anything I do, rarely do I have other games crash UT 2004 runs like a champ and Generals (Zero Hour) runs flawlessly.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Don't know about Sims 2, but whether any game takes over the screen is totally dependent on whether the programmers bother to make an option for running in a window or not. I've got several high-end intensive games that run in a window just fine. So, the answer is: maybe. :)

--Eric

6. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

One Problem i have had is that after i have been playin for a bit all of a sudden my sound goes out? i have to exit and come back in...anyone else have this prob???

Also on a side note if anyone gets this game and is kinda disapointed of how it looks out of the box (like i was) adjust the video settings a bit to fit your comp beter and it will look MUCh better...but the out of the box settings are fairly low,i guess to support lower performance comps...

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

8. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's either a bug or our hearing is starting to go in our old age, wrxguy... ;)

Apart from this minor glitch, I've no complaints about this game – it's quite fun! I should say though I'm running it on quite a powerful Mac (a dual G5 Power Mac) so that'll be helping it run smoothly. :)

10. louis_sx macrumors regular

I have both the sound dying bug and the crashing issues on my machines (12" PB 1.33 w/FX5200 and eMac 1.25 w/Radeon 9200). Both machines are now running Tiger and have a GB or more of RAM.

And it's SLOWWW. We've got it set to the lowest resolution and details possible and it's kinda playable. I bet a Radeon 9600 like what's in the new eMacs would help.