Sims 2 UB

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluedevil14, Mar 2, 2006.

1. bluedevil14 macrumors regular

bluedevil14

Does anyone know when the Sims 2 and all of the expansions are coming out as a Universal Binary? And how do you think a 2 Gig MacBook Pro would handle that game?

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Should be great if/when it comes out in Universal Binary.:)

3. bluedevil14 thread starter macrumors regular

bluedevil14

4. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I've emailed Aspyr about this and they said it should be out within a few weeks (and this was about 3 weeks ago). They said it'll be issued as a downloadable patch.

I'd say they're going to package new copies of The Sims 2 as a UB but you can also download a patch for the PowerPC version.

5. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

So would you say it is safe to just buy the PPC version & play with that on Rosetta for a while, & then just download the patch later? I would like to play SIMS 2 now, no matter how slow it is. It would be great if I could just get that & download the patch (later when it comes out) . Is this how it usually goes for the other games?

6. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

You can do that, but it will be horribly slow. Slower than you probably realize.

Worth noting that the Sims 2 Nightlife will be a Universal Binary, which should be shipping soon now.

7. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Well I thought I'd test it anyways to see how slow it really is. I got this dialogue:
    [​IMG]

I wonder speed Rosetta tells applications its running at?

Update: I just tried running The Sims 2 in Rosetta, and it runs better than I thought it would. The sims doesn't recognize the full screen res of the iMac (20") though. It runs like it did on my iBook 1.33GHz.

8. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

It says that it requires SIMS 2 for the SIMS 2 nightlife expansion pack. How does Aspyr think they are going to sell anything if they don't even have SIMS 2 in UB so that people can't play the SIMS 2 nightlife expansion pack they just bought?:confused:

9. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Thats the thing. I'm betting the UB will be out soon, probably before, Sims 2 Nightlife ships.

10. bluedevil14 thread starter macrumors regular

bluedevil14

does that mean that the new expansion pack, Open for Business will be a UB as well. Any details on the release date for that? (for mac)

11. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Open for Business will most definitly be a UB. Though, that won't be out for a long long time so don't get your hopes up. It's usually 6 months behind the release of the Windows version. Though it will be easier to port to Mac now that it's on x86, but Aspyr must still support PowerPC users.