Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GUTHOOK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
When I try to install Sims 3 on my iMac, the game installs to 98% and then the mac shuts off. I had the same trouble with Spore as well. No error message, just turns off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

In a related note, is there a way to remove things from the registry? When I check under "About this Mac", the game is listed under apps once for each attempted install.

Wouldn't mind buying games but am a little gun shy after 2 failed attempts.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Please share more details.

What mac do you have ? It's specs (processor / memory / graphics)

What version of OSX are you running ?

Mac's don't have a registry.....

The only time I heard of similar situation was when someone was trying to install those applications on a G5 iMac. Those applications are Intel Only I believe.

rj-300zx

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Please share more details.

What mac do you have ? It's specs (processor / memory / graphics)

What version of OSX are you running ?

Mac's don't have a registry.....

The only time I heard of similar situation was when someone was trying to install those applications on a G5 iMac. Those applications are Intel Only I believe.

Yea they are both Intel only. To the OP if you have a PPC Sims 2 is still wonderful and there are plenty of games that are much, much, MUCH, better than Spore.

GUTHOOK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
iMac
processor is 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
memory I gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
graphics ATI Radeon HD 2400 128 mb

OS X 10.5.7

Not very familiar with Mac, just switched over from PC and these are my first attempts at gaming. I have seen other posts from people with problems but most are related to running the game not the install.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ OK so you should be fine with the specs.

Again trying to formulate why you are having difficulty is hard, I've installed my copy of Sims3 on my 3 macs and all never experienced any installation problems.

What I find concerning is that your game isn't necessarily failing, but that the mac itself is physically turning itself off, that to me could be a hardware issue.

I'm not quite sure how it can relate to the game install - other than something to do with prolonged disk writing to the HDD.

Does this happen at any other time when your using your computer or solely on the install of those 2 games ?

GUTHOOK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Never had any other issues with that type of thing although I haven't had anything install for the same amount of time. The one thing that irks me is that they are both EA games (not my fav) and that kind of fits the EA profile in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.